Bedroom Ring Change - Notify?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on performing the following to my bedroom.

Existing :
1 x single socket
3 x double socket
4 x "lamp" sockets

Planned :
2 x single (1 more)
6 x double socket (3 more). 1 existing to be moved along wall
Removal and make safe of lamp sockets with choc-boxes (to be recommissioned in the future); to be plastered over.
Change light switch faceplate
Lighting fixtures removed and connections left in choc-boxes ready for future use

I'd done ring work in the past, just making sure I'm not doing anything silly with this.

I also assume all these will be fed from the ground up, as they are currently 3 feet off the ground, and I want them at ground level.

Sponsored Links
Also, could someone recommend a decent two-pole voltage detector for domestic, occasional use?

If any of the circuits are new they will need to be notified proir to work being started.
If they are extending or additions to exsisting ones they are non notifiable.
They will need RCD protection if that is not already available from you current set up.
I would not plaster over sockets if live cables are being terminated their but use blank plates instead.

If any of the circuits are new they will need to be notified proir to work being started.
If they are extending or additions to exsisting ones they are non notifiable.
They will need RCD protection if that is not already available from you current set up.
I would not plaster over sockets if live cables are being terminated their but use blank plates instead.

Thanks for the answer.

It's all on an existing circuit, so no worries there. With regards to RCD, are we talking the MCB on the CU or something else?

Good point about the faceplates. I wasn't going to plaster over the sockets, I was planning on terminating the cables in a chocbox and then plastering.

Sponsored Links
if you terminate in a chocbox and the connection fails and affects other aspects of the installation, how can you rectify the problem if you plaster over it~?

plastering over old socket boxes removes the safe zone that they describe on the wall, so you'll need to re-route the cables back into other safe zones, or leave the socket there..

Thanks for the answer.

It's all on an existing circuit, so no worries there. With regards to RCD, are we talking the MCB on the CU or something else
Something else RCD or RCBO protection is now required on new installation and additon or extending of exsisting ones, it's an added protection.
This link may help to explain;
http://www.cjhelectrical.co.uk/RCDs.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back