Bedroom wardrobe and skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm fitting some new wardrobes in the bedroom. As I do not want them to stand away from the wall (by the skirting depth) I wondered if there is a replacement 'thin' skirting? Ideally I would remove the old skirting, fit new, then fit new carpet (without grippers in the wardobe area). Is this sensible or should I just remove the skirting behind the wardrobe area after carpet has been fitted (requires careful cutting of the skirting in situ)?

Ian

Sponsored Links
Cut the skirting very carefully along and accurate measurement - if you use the front points from a dovetail or similar back saw you'll get through most of the skirting, and trim the bit at floor level with a sharp chisel.
Push the wardrobes in place, then score the line with a Stanley knife.
Pull the wardrobes out of the way then start cutting.
You could of course remove the skirting first, but you do risk damage to the wall this way.
John :)

By "fitting " do you mean the wardrobes are built in as opposed to free standing?
Personally what I would, and have done in the past ,is to notch the wardrobe around the exsisting skirting. This takes the wardrobe as far back as possible and retains the original skirting should the wardrobe ever be removed. Then I would fix a return of the skirting to the outsides of the wardrobe to give a better continous look rather than the skirting stopping and the wardrobe begining.
One other option I've done in the past is to line the wardrobe with mdf to give a smooth unbroken surface inside.

Sponsored Links
A bosch p180 allows flush cutting of skirting easily. With a free standing wardrobe , assume that's what you mean from your description, then you may be able to cut away the back of the wardrobe to allow it flush to wall, depends on design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back