Bee and wasp like

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are those insects that you get in this country (UK) that look like wasps and have the same colourings but are much smaller?

Sponsored Links
Hover-flies? They stay motionless for long periods. They are not actually wasps and have no stomach as they live so short a life. (IIRC).

joe

Sponsored Links
Igorian said:
Hornets are quite big.
mandarinia1.jpg

But back to the original Q - we've been getting something that's got black and yellow stripes - longer than a wasp or a bee, but a great deal thinner, and we're wondering what they are....

i think you mean an Ichneuman wasp/fly. It's a parasitic insect.

joe

joe-90 said:
I've found one photo, and that's not it:

47859870.flyoutstanding.jpg

but I'll see if there are other varieties - thanks for the suggestion.

I was doing some flagging this week and got a mate to give me a lift. He got bit by a horse fly on his calf and had blood trickling down his leg. I, of course found it highly amusing for about 10 mins until I got biten on the palm of my had. :(
I'd forgotten how much of a chunk they can take out of you - nasty blurdy things.

ban-all-sheds said:
Igorian said:
Hornets are quite big.
mandarinia1.jpg

But back to the original Q - we've been getting something that's got black and yellow stripes - longer than a wasp or a bee, but a great deal thinner, and we're wondering what they are....

Please tell me that's a wind up

pickles said:
ban-all-sheds said:
Igorian said:
Hornets are quite big.
mandarinia1.jpg

Please tell me that's a wind up

Can you see a key? ;)

Very funny igorian, you'll be telling me they're really very friendly and just get a bit tense and sting people to death by accident next.

Are they really that big, who is the fool with it on his hand. Is he already dead

pickles said:
Very funny igorian, you'll be telling me they're really very friendly and just get a bit tense and sting people to death by accident next.

Are they really that big, who is the fool with it on his hand. Is he already dead

Dunno who he is. Maybe he gets a buzz from holding it. :confused:

More on wasps here

ban-all-sheds said:
joe-90 said:
I've found one photo, and that's not it:

47859870.flyoutstanding.jpg

but I'll see if there are other varieties - thanks for the suggestion.

That doesn't look like the ones we get in the UK. Does the type you see have a ridiculously narrow waist? Looks like it is almost in two parts?

is it more like this http://www.insectpix.net/Rhyssa_persuasoria.htm

joe

Sponsored Links
Back