Undergound flying insects.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Under my front window wasp like insects are emerging from little holes in the ground.
They look like a wasp but don't appear to be agressive.
Anyone know what they are?

Sponsored Links
There are many types of wasp and bee. Some live in the ground like that.

Under my front window wasp like insects are emerging from little holes in the ground.

Can you upload a picture one of them?

Sponsored Links
(As said above) there are thousands of different types.

Last time I dealt with ground dwelling wasps was in the middle of my front lawn. I found the biggest hole, squirted in some wasp killing foam for as long as I dared, then legged it.

But make sure they are wasps first.

They are probably, solitary bees. We have them burrowing into the lawns, etc, round our way. About an inch long , brown body with a red backside?
They leave a hole about the diameter of a pencil with soil piled up round it.
I love all sorts of wildlife,,,,, Until I go abroad, where I live by the statements:-
If it flies , it dies. If it slithers, it wither's.... And finally.... If it's weird, its feared. :D :D :D

They are probably, solitary bees. We have them burrowing into the lawns, etc, round our way. About an inch long , brown body with a red backside?

That's a red-tailed bumble bee then... not a wasp.

If it's yellow and black... KILL KILL KILL KILL....!!!!!!!!

Mole flies :idea:

have you got a bee in your bonnet?

no. i'm just pleased to sting you

I love all sorts of wildlife,,,,, Until I go abroad, where I live by the statements:-
If it flies , it dies. If it slithers, it wither's.... And finally.... If it's weird, its feared. :D :D :D

That discribes them perfectly, I'll try and upload a picture later on.

That's a red-tailed bumble bee then... not a wasp.

If it's yellow and black... KILL KILL KILL KILL....!!!!!!!!

Many thanks for the name.
That also explains why they don't seem to be agressive.

We had loads of them in our last house (believe they were solitary bees) and never had any problems - even with 2 small kids at the time.
You could even sit on top of their burrows and they didn't get agitated. They'd wait patiently for you to s*d off until they could get out.

I took these photos of the bees/underground holes about 2 hrs ago.

It's quite exciting that they are bees and not wasps.
I read somewhere that if bees disapeared from the earth humanity would only last another 10 years!
It would upset the planets eco system so much.

Sponsored Links
Back