Been quoted £160 to replace pump. sound right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
all this central heating and hot water shenanigans is new to me so could any of the good folks here tell me if £160 is a reasonable charge to replace the pump on my hot water/central heating system? it will be a grundfos pump 15-50.

Sponsored Links
FidelOK said:
all this central heating and hot water shenanigans is new to me so could any of the good folks here tell me if £160 is a reasonable charge to replace the pump on my hot water/central heating system? it will be a grundfos pump 15-50.

sounds good to me

Changing a pump can take anything between 10 mins and all day, so it could turn out cheap or dear.
I believe BG charge quite a bit more.

depends what is involved in getting to the pump,/ what else has to be done, I would suggest get a 2nd opinion (or DIY)

Sponsored Links
the pump is in the airing cupboard. right in front of the tank(thing with jacket) so its easily accessible.

Nice work if you can get it. lots of customers would frown at £100 but u can't knock the guy for trying. It all depends where u live.

bab said:
Nice work if you can get it. lots of customers would frown at £100 but u can't knock the guy for trying. It all depends where u live.

Frown all they like, you will be getting into trouble quoting 100 for a pump change. The valves almost certainly won't hold and if they do they will most likely leak (personally hardly ever use them), that is if it has any valves. The system may bung or may not and if not it may mean a drain down with the associated problems that go with that, plus the cost of new inhibitor on refilling.

BG do almost all work now on a 140 on demand cost chris, it is only upgrade jobs that are individually priced up.

£95 if gate type valves that hold. (For a Grundfoss)

Never even try ball type valves, and I base that on a drain down which is 186 minues, allowing for everything that can go wrong.

Longest change has been 5 hours but on average it adds an hour labour and i reduce the cost if it takes less than 186 minutes...its nearly laways done in this time.

It seems though that London rates are more competetive than me out in the sticks.

David

We charge our standard diagnostic charge of £84 plus £60 for a new pump if there are working gate valves, total £144.

If they have ball valves then its an extra £12 !

Would BG change the pump AND replace ball valves with gate valves all for a fixed £140 or do they invoke upgrade/second fault?

And do BG really replace Suprima PCBs with the new type for £140 ???

If so will BG do that as a sub to us ??? Its less than we can buy the new PCB !!!

Tony

It usually works out about 150 for us to do one so I think it aint a bad price.

So at £95 if valves hold am I at least not overcharging!

David

Agile said:
Would BG change the pump AND replace ball valves with gate valves all for a fixed £140 or do they invoke upgrade/second fault?

And do BG really replace Suprima PCBs with the new type for £140 ???

If so will BG do that as a sub to us ??? Its less than we can buy the new PCB !!!

Tony

Its really down to the discretion of the engineer, but I very much doubt anyone would be enough of an a*se to try to charge extra for valves. To be honest you would only really replace them if it made the job easier. It's pretty likely though that in a lot of cases it would be a head change.

Yep new suprima boards for 140, you know how it is, once you get a satisfied customer they tend to stay so it all evens out over time.....with the amount of boards BG buy I don't expect they lose much on the job.

I dont charge any extra for valves, just labour time to drain, refill and add inhibitor (if customer wants).

I do find gate type valves on average 90 percent reliable if tightened enough. Takes a while to undo them without snapping them though!

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back