Been told front door needs upgrading to FR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
A friend of mine owns a flat and the management company have written to her and all flat owners implying that some front doors to flats are not fire rated and that the management company will be removing fire detection equipment and fire extinguishers from the communal corridors because it is confusing to people to keep them there, and it is now the responsibility of the flat owners to meet fire regulations. I would like to help her out by finding out more about her rights. It does seem a bit odd to me that the management company can suddenly decide to absolve themselves of responsibility of the communal corridors .. surely they still have an obligation to protect these areas ?? Secondly, does she have to upgrade her existing door to a fire rated door because of this change ? She would be willing to upgrade the door when funds become available but she doesn't have the money at the moment and furthermore I'm unclear why this wasn't made clear to flat owners as a result of the fire safety report which was carried out about 5 years + years ago. It appears the management company have suddenly decided they can do this, which looks to me more to do with cost saving than health and safety of flat owners. Thanks for any info

Sponsored Links
Removing fire detection equipment?

Have they gone mad?

I wonder if the flats were constructed originally with fire doors to the communal area and over the years tenants have replaced them with more attractive doors.

Why are fire doors so important?
• they are specifically designed to withstand fire for up to 30 minutes
• they are a legal requirement for flats which open onto communal areas shared with other tenants. This is to make sure crucial escape routes are protected if a fire breaks out.
• they are designed to automatically close behind you in the event of fire, holding flames back and stopping the spread of the fire and toxic smoke into escape routes, corridors and other flats in the block.

Maybe the management company are trying to get the communal areas ( escape routes ) protected and are pressurising tenants to replacing their non-compliant front doors.

I suggest your friend has a word with the local Fire Prevention Officer at the local Fire Brigade to get accurate advice.

Sponsored Links
Been there myself.
Bottom line is that the management company cannot force you to do anything.
Your front door is yours and, unless you have removed a fire rated door and replaced with a standard one, there's nothing they can do.
Now, be extremely forward and proactive with this: speak to the fire brigade and if like in my case, they attend, they will give free advice supported by a full report.
In my case, the stated that the original solid oak door and frame was already fire resistant beyond 1hr.
The only thing i had to do was to fit intumescent strips around the frame and in the locks recess.
They said that hinges had been there so long that didn't need intumescent pads.
They also tested a piece of paint and it was fine.
Overall cost me £60 fitted and all.
A local locksmith i've known for long time did the job.

She's aware of some of the flats having changed their front doors for non-FD compliant ones, but apparently she's had the stock door that was built with the flat so I hope she hasn't got to find the money for this. Thanks for all the feedback chaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back