Beginner Laying Wood Floor - Glue or Floating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've just started reading through past posts and it's been really informative. I do have a few questions and I'm really sorry if its been asked before but I've yet to find the answer to these questions.

My husband and I have not gotten the keys for the place yet so we don't know what the subfloor is - I'm assuming its timber floorboards. The house is a shared ownership resale home built 9 years ago. We plan to do the flooring ourselves and we have not decided on the exact floor we want yet

We are intending to do the rooms and hallway on the first and second floor. Thinking of stairs too, but that seems like it can wait a little for after we move in since there's no furniture going onto it. I would be very grateful if someone can help with the following questions:

1. Which method is the best for insulating against noise - glue or floating?

2. I wasn't planning on doing any sort of threshold between doors. I understand that I need an expansion gap every 7m, however no area of the floor has dimensions greater than 7m. There are 2 separate rooms with a combined length of 7m but I'm assuming there is an expansion gap already between 2 rooms, so just wanted to check. If an expansion gap is needed at the doorways, am I able to put a plank perpendicular (see attached photo) in the doorway instead of a T bar?

3. If I use the glue down method, do I need to staple the underlay onto the floorboards then glue the wood flooring onto the underlay?

4. If I used engineered wood instead and did a floating floor, how does it connect to the stairs so it is flush? or would glueing be a better option when it comes to hallway leading onto top of stairs?

5. On stairs, can I use chipboard or plywood as the riser to save on cost? and what is the cheapest option for stair nosing?

Thank you so much in advance!
Leah

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 18.33.53.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 18.33.53.png
    259.5 KB · Views: 198
  • Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 18.41.01.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 18.41.01.png
    555.9 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back