Engineered wood floating floor at stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy new year all,

I am planning to install a T&G engineered wood floor, floating on top of XPS floor insulation, in a raised garden room of around 12sqm. Never done this before so I have some questions I would appreciate if someone could help.

Firstly, I can see that the standard approach is to glue the grooves, but as I am planning to use cork edging strips in the expansion gap I am wondering if this is necessary? Will the cork not keep the boards gently pushed together while still allowing expansion or would I be safer to glue the grooves?

Secondly, I am wondering the best thing to do where the floor meets the stair (going down), and what stops the floor from floating down the stair. I have seen T&G nosings as below, which look like the neatest, safest solution as there is no lip for anyone to trip on, but don't know how an expansion gap would work with this, or does it simply expand out from the step? (If this is the case then I presume the floor would definitely need to be glued together)

upload_2020-1-3_18-49-1.png

Or this type, glued to the ridge of the stair at the right height to allow the board to move underneath it?
upload_2020-1-3_18-50-57.png

Finally, at the threshold of the patio doors, the best finish would be to butt the boards right up to the edge of the threshold, but this would obviously leave no expansion gap. For 3-4m width of floor, is an expansion gap necessary at both sides, or could I have it butted up against the door, with the expansion gap at the other side?

Any advice and tips gratefully received.

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-3_18-23-15.png
    upload_2020-1-3_18-23-15.png
    371.7 KB · Views: 282
Sponsored Links
Fair play I thought you meant the foam laminate underlay. Had problems with it and squeaking.

For the patio door you want a solid oak end bar.

2nd nosing for me and flush to wood so looks better imo.

Glue the T&G. It will all open up if you don’t.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Daz,

2nd nosing for me and flush to wood so looks better imo.

Presume you mean this one, but my question remains as to how I leave an expansion gap with this? Do you fix to the riser and allow movement under the top of the nosing?
upload_2020-1-3_18-50-57-png.180069

Going to do this job on Thursday and was hoping someone could advise roughly how much pva wood glue I'll need for a 12m square room?

It's just for the tongue and groove only, floating, not glueing down. I've bought a litre, but I won't have the car on Thursday so if rather have too much than run out!

Thank Daz.

Was sitting there last night trying to work out how many Linear metres of tongue (~100m), at around a 3mm bead, and getting just less than a litre, but then a 4mm bead would be more than a litre - hmm, maybe I should just ask someone!! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back