Being treated like a fool!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I’d really appreciate some advice.
I had a kitchen installed recently and the fitter has done a bad job and is returning to do some ‘snagging’.When I pointed things out that need doing or fixed he’s giving me answers that I know are incorrect but as I’m not experienced in these things a second opinion would be great.
1.The walls have been plastered but the back boxes on 2 adjacent sockets are protruding and he says it’s my walls and has filled them.I’m not happy about this and feel I am correct to ask him to fix the back boxes so that they are flush with wall?
2.The doors and drawers are not level and the gaps between them are all uneven.I think it’s the way the runners have been fitted but again he is blaming my walls.He had suggested putting small stoppers on the units to enable them to sit out more.I think the runners should be refitted but if they are and any of them are screwed into the same holes again will this create a weakness in the future?
3.He has used the incorrect screws in some of the handles.The correct screws are countersunk into the handles and these need to be replaced.Will screwing the correct 1s into the same holes create a weakness in the handles in the future?
4.The fridge door isn’t closing properly and he says it’s to do with the temperature and the suction.I’ve noticed it’s set back a couple of mm’s more at the side the door closes than the hinged side.Could this be the problem?
5.He removed my old door frame and the plasterer didn’t plaster to edges.He has filled this with filler which has shrunk and cracked.He says this will be ok when he fills it again as the painter will fix it.Is this correct as it looks terrible as it is.I paid to have the walls plastered and feel that it should be plastered and not filled but as it would cost him more money to get plasterer back he won’t do it.Also it will make some mess if it needs to keep getting sanded down and I’m using my kitchen again.
6.I got LVT flooring wood plank effect on my small floor of area 3metres x1.2metres.It looks like tiles as he has laid them parallel to the long wall against the light.They look shaded and have different textures which are really visible the way they have been laid.I was supplied 8 metres of these and I feel that was so they could be fitted horizontal to the long wall in the direction of the light as they would look like they should.He didn’t ask me how I wanted them to look and they’re the only aspect of my chosen items that I questioned as soon as I saw them fitted.There are a couple of them coming up at the edges and a couple of them have warped as they are too fitted together too tightly and the floor bounces up and down in these areas so will need to be lifted.Should all of the tiles I paid for be replaced as most are cut or have been siliconed.
The silicone started coming off and at 1 point it was behind my sink.This had been exposed to water for weeks now and the upstart was starting to expand so I have had the silicone removed and redone.He did say he would do it again if I supplied the silicone as it would only take 5 minutes and I’m assuming he was just gonny go over the first lot!
When I raise some of these points I’m being told a lot of nonsense to pacify me.I have asked the company to send 1 if their experienced fitters as this guy is new but they’re saying that I need to give him a chance to ‘try’ to fix it.That’s 6 weeks today since the work started and still no sign of them coming back.
Any advise will be greatly received.

Sponsored Links
Any time he says it's your walls, he's talking rubbish.
They've been plastered, so they should be smooth and straight.
The floor being laid in the wrong direction is something that was not discussed, so he's done what he thought it would be easier/better. Not 100% his fault there.
Silicone peeling after a short time could be either dirty surface during application or cheap silicone.
Both his fault.
My advice is to get a proper kitchen fitter, get a lot of pictures and a written report before fixing everything and then bill the original fitting company.

Sponsored Links
He’s full of shyte, sorry to say. :(

Post some pics, You’ll get advice...
I’m sure you’ll be able to fix his bodges.

1. He's talking BS

2. He needs to reset the drawers. Many drawer runners have multiple holes drilled in them so can be moved, however I'd have expected the workshop to pre-drill the carcasses for the runners in most cases. Was the supplier a small firm lacking the facilities to do this? Door levelling is done using the adjuster screws on the hinges -so that's a fitter's job

3. Probably not. Need photos to confirm

4. Fridge improperly installed

5. It can be done properly by filling - if the right filler is used - but TBH as a kitchen fitter he should be a bit more of a multi-trader. That or his employers should have a plasterer on their books. Unfortunately mess is part of the process, although when I used to fit kitchens I did tend to lay down dust sheets and vacuum up at the end of every day - when you work in someone else's home that should be a given

Generally it sounds as though the guy is inexperienced and a bit slap dash. Did you pay the kitchen company for the fitter, or did you pay him directly for the fit?

Last edited by a moderator:
From what you say, he sounds like he's a cowboy/inexperienced or just lazy. Sounds like a lack of attention to detail to me.
Pics would help

1. sounds like the plasterer has done a bad job (this is not uncommon, as with any trade you get chancers, my brothers house the plasterer done a terrible job on the old walls ive seen less waves in the pacific)

2. he needs to rectify this, nothing to do witht he walls

3. probably doesnt matter, need more info

4. he's talking botox

5. Plasteres done a bad job, he's then done a bad job of filling

6. You should have advised what way you wanted the flooring, though that doesnt excuse poor fitting.

id be getting onto the company and demanding they fix the errors and that you have lost faith in this guy's ability and you refuse to allow him back onsite.

I hope you haven't paid in full yet? That job sounds absolutely appallingly poor, generally.

If it's a company, rather than a sole trader, ring the company and insist they send a qualified and capable fitter to deal with your complaints properly.

1. Either the boxes have not been chopped deep enough into the brick of the wall, or the plasterer has skimped on the amount of plaster he put on the wall. The lip of boxes should be level with the plaster face, or a bit below - unless their is a plan to tile the wall. If no such plan, then the only way out is to take the boxes back out and chop them in deeper.

2. Doors and drawers are very adjustable, so it should be able to get them straight, but I do wonder how poor a job he has made of levelling the carcases and the worktops? Walls and floors being uneven is no excuse at all, that can be accommodated by a decent tradesman.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back