Belkin WeMo light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently mid extension build - quite some time off electrics but enjoy thinking of the possibilities down the line when I'm mixing mortar!

Like the idea of having an echo dot installed - eyeing up some bluetooth ceiling speakers that link up with the Echo dot....

Lighting appears to be more of an issue. Philips Hue bulbs obviously work with Alexa, but buying individual bulbs to light a kitchen is not ideal - and very expensive. I started researching light switches that can control normal lighting. The only one that keeps cropping up is the Belkin WeMo light switch. Seems only available in US as the switch needs a neutral feed. In the UK our switch wiring just has live, return and neutral.

Has anyone used one of these switches in the UK? How hard would it be to get the sparky to put a neutral to a couple of light switches so I can use one?

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Would the switch be rated to work on the higher UK supply voltage?

Alexa works with the Samsung Smartthings hub so looking for a light switch which works with that might be the better option.
One example would be https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JGSDL1C which you could install in the ceiling where a neutral connection would be easier to connect to.

Sponsored Links
They work well, but i rarely use Alexa or my phone to turn them on.

I have some outside lights that are powered from 4 different light switches in 4 different rooms. I've replaced each switch with a mi home switch and then grouped them together in the Mi home app so i can turn them all on in one go rather than walk through 2 rooms in the house, out into the garage and to the end of the garden to turn them all on.

The system works well and works well with alexa. But i just don't have a need to turn the outside lights on that much....

It was more of a fun project than anything practical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back