Bell wire to carry 12v

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need some thin bell type wire to carry 12v for some LED lighting.

Is there anything specific I need? Wheres cheapest?

Also, for the lights, I need 4 wires. Is it best to just run two paired wires?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
What's the wattage of the new lights? Bell wire is unlikely to be upto the job if it is in a domestic setting. Have you tried your local wholesaler?

EDIT: Apologies just saw they were LED lights.

The lights are 0.5w each. Adds up to about 75w in total.

I havent tried the local suppliers, as I dont really know what I need :)

I think the minimum csa you are allowed to use for extra low voltage circuits (12v) is 0.75mm². Definitely don't use bell wire. ;)

Something like this. Make sure it's appropriately fused too.

CA0.75F3.JPG

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks. Is there anything like that but with 4 wires?
You didn't look very hard. :LOL:

CA0.75HR4.JPG

But i'm intrigued now. Why do you want 3c+e flex? For a switched live also?

Although if the lights are only 0.5W each then this flex would be overkill and a nightmare to terminate for 150 lights!

I'd assumed you meant 12v downlights. Not sure what you mean now. :oops:

EDIT: Here is bell wire on the TLC website anyway.

still only 3 wires, can't use earth for anyting but earth so can't run 12Vac or dc down it..

its RGB LED that I have. So, four wires to splice each segement of tape. From all that I have seen the cable to connect each segment is quite fine, which is why I thought bell wire would be ok.

What does the transformer say the output to the LEDS is (it should have a badge / sticker on it).

What sort of distance are you talking about and how did you intend to join the extended cables ?

If you could post a link to the model type, it might clear up some of the grey areas regarding the exact item and its use.

Standard LED strip can have pre made extensions such as this
FL4260.JPG

but that's for this type of strip

FL4205BL.JPG

its RGB LED that I have. So, four wires to splice each segement of tape. From all that I have seen the cable to connect each segment is quite fine, which is why I thought bell wire would be ok.
You do realise that if you're in England or Wales you're required to get Building Regulations approval for installing these lights before you start?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back