Led neons, Correct wire types

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm making some of those led style neon lights for home that seem to be in every bar nowadays.

I have some 5 metre lengths of the silicone LEDs.

I'm going to solder some wires on to the ends of a 12v female jack connector which will fit into my 12v power pack.

I think the Amps are around 2a

24w = 12v X 2a if my working out is correct.

What wire size and strand type would people suggest i use to do this. I will also be soldering some joins in this set up along the LEDs.
Ideally i want to use thinner wire as it is easier to work with.

I have some that came supplied with the kit, it is quite thin and stranded but would prefer advise on this.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Glue two pegs to a piece of ply wood to make a jig

LED cut strip jig.jpg

Before soldering scrape the copper pads to remove all the encapsulating material. Copper should be bight and shiny to ensure a good solder joint.

A LED is a current dependent device, some where you need to limit the current, as a pre-assembled unit they normally use resistors, but there is no single method, so much depends on the units you have.

Sponsored Links
Nice, might do this. It can be a bit of a struggle with only 2 hands. I generally use soldering flux. I find the solder takes to the job so much better.

I'lle get a picture later and show what the LED strips look like. The lengths I'm cutting vary massively depending on what sign I'm doing. Not 100% sure what the maximum length of led strip is that I can have coming from 1 X 12v power pack

LED strip.jpg

The resistor controls the current through the three LED elements

Some of these strips are too bright for direct viewing when the supply is 12 volts. I have used 9 volts for some installations for this reason.

Cork table mat, It was quicker to mock up a copy than to try and find the real jig ( no pegs were harmed or glued )

Personally I'd be tempted to put some of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VNKZN1X in line as well and adjust downwards to what you find acceptable. A lot of the LED neon seems excessivly power hungry and bright, I repaired a christmas light that had rope light on it previously and I think I split it across 2 of those and I think I measured it at about 8 volts after tweaking it. Should last longer too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back