LED Tape, recommended brand/supplier?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are all 10mm 12V LED tapes much of a muchness – or are some better than others?

I'm looking to run some under kitchen cupboards, just under 5m in two sections. I have no issue with understanding the wiring, power supplies, cutting, soldering.

TLC Direct, QVS Direct and various LED online stores, then Amazon all have various types.

I've looked at these: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SK153718.html
or these: https://www.qvsdirect.com/5m-led-strip-6w-12v-ip65-6500k
and then found a multitude of others on LED Hut and various other suppliers.

I want a good light output (warm or daylight - TBC), reliable, with solid adhesive backing to go under the cornices and IP64/5 as it's in a kitchen.

Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
I got some on eBay. Much cheaper than UK suppliers and seem just as good.

Most of the cheap stuff is crap. The phosphor on the white LEDs degrades very rapidly and after a year or so you end up with either dull or very yellow lighting.

I've found the LEDXON and Osram tapes to be significantly better.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Converse
Note that the 'adhesive backing' always tends to fail and the tape peel off with time
I guess the steam and heat of kettle/kitchen and the weight of the tape and at the points where the wires join to the tape.
Hence I always use a glue gun to provide additional adhesion and reduce pull stress in the adhesive backing but putting a blob at the tape ends and say every 30cm.
SFK

Note that the 'adhesive backing' always tends to fail and the tape peel off with time

I haven't had that experience where the tape used is a 3M product.

But just in case
Integral-LED said:
Each 5m reel is supplied with an easy-to-follow installation guide and 20 mounting clips. Additional accessories are available to purchase.

Converse
I guess the steam and heat of kettle/kitchen and the weight of the tape and at the points where the wires join to the tape.
Hence I always use a glue gun to provide additional adhesion and reduce pull stress in the adhesive backing but putting a blob at the tape ends and say every 30cm.
SFK

Proper 3M tape is about as expensive as the LED tape you can buy on ebay. The real 3M adhesive doesn't come off without a fight.

Aptsys,
Very true - and shows I am using the LED strips with the fake 3M adhesive tape (which I guessed anyway).
SFK

Thanks all, I'll have a look at the suggestions including the Integral, LEDXON and Osram; plus the Epistar ones from LED Lighthouse. [The "Deltech" type sold by QVS Direct has genuine 3M VHD adhesive backing, but I've no idea if the LEDs are good quality, they are just listed as "commercial grade".]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back