Extending, Splicing and connecting very thin LED wiring.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hello all.
I've a 8 piece set of LED puck lights to wire up under the kitchen cupboards.

12v, 2A DC.
I've previously used speaker wire to do jobs like this but i couldn't find anything like it locally anymore. (Amazon effect huh...)

I've picked up a reel of 24v 2A bell wire.

I've twisted/Zip clipped/taped it all together to get the lights up and running but it feels rough as f**k.

I'm going to get a 12vdc surface mounted transformer to replace the plug in yoke and wire it into a 3a fused/swiched spur.

Question: whats the norm for joining/splicing/commoning very thin core wire typically used for this?

I've also the wire well clipped under the cupboards but even this feels arsey.

Any pointers on how kitchen fitters or electricians would do it?

Any comments (or links!) appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I used a box of pifco insulated staples that i had sat in the shed for the wiring.
Inherited from my FIL. Must be older than me.

Worked a treat.

You can get combined solder and heat shrink connectors .

Attachments

• IMG_1487.png
    IMG_1487.png
    775.8 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
I've also the wire well clipped under the cupboards but even this feels arsey.
Mitrebond, apply the glue to the cable, spray the underside of the cupboard with the solvent, hold the cable against where you applied the solvent.
Will adhere in seconds, no visible fixings, won't peel off or collect dirt like adhesive tape does.

Nitrile gloves required unless you want your fingers stuck to the cupboard as well.

Sometimes you can you put wires on top of units then drop down behind cupboards to each light.
Failing that maybe get some led profile strips, there made for led tape, but can be used like trunking and any wires or joints can be soldered, jelly crimped like what bt use, or whatever and tucked away inside

IMG_20231221_215153.jpg

Love the lights, like the 60+(?) Year old staples.

As per the poster above, routed up behind the cupboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back