Belle briggs and stratton mixer no start ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys i have a fairly old briggs and straton belle petrol mixer.
It normally starts ok but sometimes run at high revs and sometimes rev as its mixing this is something i normally just put up with.

but having come to use it yesterday for the first time in around 3 month it first wouldn't start at all then got were it would start but then straight away stop....

i believe these mixers have whats called a govnor lever i think mine could have a issue with that but av never used the lever

i normally just turn it to choke on then when it fires move the choke lever between full choke and run..

there does seem to be a spring that's came off on the govnor lever tho.

looking at the spring it seems like it should go down into the red casing but i cant find any diagrams online that shows what the correct setup for these levees should be

can any one give any help ?

i can get some pics on later today if thats any use

thanks ;)

Sponsored Links
Wondering if this one has the tank underneath the carburettor.....?
This system has a pump diaphragm that lifts fuel from the tank up to the carb and failure is frequent.
Don't worry about the governor at this stage....the spring follows the governor lever and damps it's operation a little.
With the engine off, the governor should open the throttle fully.
John :)

url=http://postimg.org/image/4csbfmdct/]
20150405_151359.jpg
[/url]

Sponsored Links
Ok, this machine has the newer 3.5 hp engine.
Allow me to direct you to a YouTube presentation by Geir Andersen, 10 mins, which could be of help.
Unfortunately, my present internet connection doesn't allow me to view it!
However, regarding that errant spring......see the throttle rod from the governor? The spring passes through the loop on the rod - don't worry if it seems loose!
You'll need to clean all of the crap from around the carb before you start though, so an aerosol of carb cleaner will be essential.
Sorry I can't be more help just now!

Thanks for your reply mate

do you have a link to the video

and regarding the spring does the end go through the loop eye in the silver steel rod

also could old fuel in the tank be a cause of the starting issue

i topped it up with new but there was about a 1/4 of old stuff that will of stood for about 3 month still in

cheers

Yep, just hook the end of the spring through the loop on the throttle rod.
No probs with the fuel, it will easily last a good few months, the problem is elsewhere and probably a slight blockage in one of the carb jets.
I'd post a link if this Spanish Internet would cooperate but it's being a pain just now :eek:
Are you ok about taking the carburettor float bowl off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back