Bench grinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a decent bench grinder? I have just come into a large number of old chisels and hand planes, which all need work as they have nicks and gouges on the tips.
I would be particularly interested in one with wide wheels, as i have three blades from 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 planes which are 2 3/8" wide.

A friend said to have a look at "dortech(?)" but i've either misheard, or got it completely wrong as i can't find anything of that name - any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Cheers, I'm steering towards the Scheppach models at present - quite like the idea of the angle finder, and the tool rests etc.

What are you using?

Sponsored Links
Tormek is the spelling you're groping for.

I've had mine for many years, and it's earned its keep. Because it's a wet grinding system, there's no danger of softening tools by overheating them. It gives a hollow grind which is often an advantage but not always.

However, it's expensive, especially when you start adding up the cost of the many jigs you can buy for them.

There's plenty of competition nowadays for sharpening systems. I'd weigh up the pros and cons, and the costs, before deciding.

morri - IMO it all depends on how often you are going to 'grind away' damage and how much dosh you can/want to fork-out. Money no object, then go for a quality wet/dry 'sharpening centre', Tormek (up to £400), Jet (up to £350), Scheppach (£100), then loads of cheapos (£40+).

My own view is you should get a cheapo bench grinder (£20 onwards) for removing the nicks (quench frequently in a jar a cold water to cool the tool and retain it's temper). Then learn how to sharpen & hone the tools by hand on an oil or waterstone. It is immensly rewarding to produce a fine cutting edge by hand.

Lots of pro workshops will use a Sharpedge machine (Denford or similar), which has a large (maybe 20"+) horizontal rotating stone, all cooled/lubed with pumped oil, expect to pay up to a grand.

Cheers Symptons.

Up untill now I've always done it by hand. only recently bought a guide. As i said, I've just come into a whole load of chisels and planes, All old, all with nicks! so i don't want to sit there for ages by hand. been looking around at a couple of second hand tormek (dortech :oops: ) going on the bay, but if i go for a new one i think it'll end up being the Scheppach Tiger 200, for ~£100. not heard of Jet, so may well be worth a look, but i'd rather not part with too much cash, or i'll be living on jam sandwiches till the new year! :LOL:

Have a look at the Axminster powertools website, they have a good range of sharpening systems, from very cheap wetstone setups for just over £40, or wide wheel bench grinders for £30 :cool:

Just as an update, went for the Scheppach Tiger (Grrr) 200 in the end. AWSOME, it runs slow, so theres no need to worry about effecting the temper of blades, and does a great job. Will take out the smaller nicks in blades, but because the stone is quite smooth takes a little work. Easy to set up, and the leather honing wheel, does a grand job of giving it a smooth , and therfore VERY sharp finish. very easy, and fast to setup too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back