Bending Polycarbonate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to replace my corrogated carport roof with some nice polycarb twin wall.

Never used it before and suddenly realised that there may be potential to "upgrade" my carport so that it had a nice curve on it rather than the grotty old straight wooden beam effect.

I've seen that people call this "cold bending"? but I'm thinking that actually I'm kidding myself and that this can't be done on this stuff. Could some one check my logic....

My roof is say 8x4 (4 being the slope). I'd like to bend it away from the wall i.e. bend it along the slope so the slope is not straight anymore. But I assume that can't be done as the ridged walls are going in that direction (the 4 slope) and so I'd be effectively bending against the tide and can't be done.

Is it somehow possible to put the ridges perpendicular to the slope rather than along it and then bend it?

Perhaps I need to buy different stuff ?

many thanks !
John.

Sponsored Links
Are you trying to create a curved lean to roof then?
As polycarbonate is a thermoplastic plastic, then it can certainly be bent using heat....however what you plan to do will just about impossible considering the large surface area - the plastic will cold bend to some degree but it will stress and turn white where the stress marks are.
There is a better chance of a cold bend along the line of the formers but again unless the curve is going to be really slight I'd consider something else.
Just my opinion though!
John :)

Thanks for that - that's what I figured. But what else to use? I don't care about insulation properties it's just a car port. What do people use for curved car ports?

Sponsored Links
You use solid poly for bends. Google Twinfix and ask for Richard Hall's mobile number, he should be able to advise

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back