bending polypipe through right angles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
I wondered if its advisable to bend polypipe through a right angle or would it be better to use elbow joints?
We had a loft conversion done and the plumber used polypipe or a similar product throughout and there are 3 different locations where the pipes bend through a right angle.
I should've asked this question ages ago as two of the locations where the pipes are bent are no longer accessible.
Yesterday, a few months after the loft plumbing was done, our pipes elsewhere in the house started screaming and vibrating. We have been here 10 years and never experienced any problems with pipes. Usually the noise happens when a tap is used anywhere in the house, or a toilet is flushed. But sometimes it happens spontaneously. Also water comes out of the old first floor shower even though it is not switched on. Switching the shower on and off briefly stops the pipes screaming and vibrating.
I have read online today that bends in pipes can contribute to "water hammer" and elbow joints should be used instead.
Or is it likely just to be an air lock or dirt in the water pipes somewhere?
Thanks in advance for any advice
s

Attachments

• showerPipes.jpg
    showerPipes.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 20160719_131925.jpg
    20160719_131925.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 20161107_202729.jpg
    20161107_202729.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 218
Sponsored Links
poor install, not enough clips, no lagging etc.... prob not the reason you have noises. more likely a tap or float valve causing the noise.

Sponsored Links
thanks BigSnoopy. The old shower seems like its on its last legs. I'm guessing its that perhaps rather than a tap. Its been leaking slightly for some time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back