Pipe bender or elbows. Which is best?

I don't employ installers who don't use a bender......

I for one am not coming out of the closet just to get a job from you m8 :oops:

If I was throwing pipes in all day then I would be tempted to get pipe benders out of their closet though. As it is the cost of fittings just goes on the bill and I've always managed to get myself out of situations by carefully bending the bare pipe round my knee.

Sponsored Links
Elbows are neater and quicker to fit so will win commercially for most domestic applications.

DIYers can use bends as their time has no value.

The only time I would ever think of bends is where a gas flow is marginal in 22 mm.

Tony

More or less impossible to fit a system without using bends and sets , just about always use elbows/streets by rads as they are far neater but sometimes a single set is required.

Sponsored Links
how long does a plumber's knee last?
from 18yrs until 35yrs. old in my case :eek: Let that be a lesson to you all ............WEAR KNEE PADS :!: .........I`ll just add pipebending to the list of "redundant" skills I have ........Long live the Corgi ....Man/Woman of the future :LOL: :LOL:

I have never read such a load of Billhooks in my life !!!

It would appear that we have a second generation of cowboys posting on here! :eek:

Bending pipes to overcome a variety of problems should be second nature to any plumber!!

How do you elbow merchants acheive a cross over ???

I have managed to teach YTS lads (Do they still do that ??) to profficiently bend and produce offsetts within two weeks !

I personally do not know any plumbers who do NOT use a bender on a regular basis!!

Is it a London area phenomena!!

Apart from the reasons all ready mentioned, like cost, noise, flow etc, I'd be lost without my pipebender. Somtimes I don't want a 90 degree bend or a 45, and somtimes I just need the slightest kick on a pipe where no arrangement of fittings would do.

Terrywokfit wrote

It would appear that we have a second generation of cowboys posting on here!

Totally agree.
Though I think the elbow merchants only install an odd length of copper here and there.
About 2 ton of the stuff delivered to site in 6 meter crates and about 8 weeks to fit the lot soon sorts the pretender benders from the pipe fitters.

just goes to show what a waste of space some of the posters are on here,use of benders is a must in my opinion for a quiet and efficent heating sys.we have the sense to use 6m lenghts of tube and that soon sorts the wasters from the plumbers/pipefitters

hep was invented by a plumber who could not solder or use a bender! :LOL: :LOL:

I think the most bends I've put in a continuous length of 15m is 9, and in 28mm 5.
but I don't agree with
"use of benders is a must (in my opinion) for a quiet and efficent heating sys"

I have to admit that the last time I was on site pipefitting (at the new Radcliffe Hospital) I never used bends once - you weren't allowed to as they weren't on the drawings/specs. What was worse was that it was the crimp copper fittings with the o - ring - the crimping gun was a bit of a lump too - bloody awkward is was. You had to check it all with a spirit for level and plumb before crimping it all up in the right order or it wasn't possible :evil: all that ****e on scaffolding/towers/steps NEVER AGAIN :evil:

One of Funniest stories i heard about bending was lad who had been in job for a while was given a straight bit of pipe and told to put a ninety in it after F ing about for 10 mins he then asked what way do you want it to face. :eek: :rolleyes: .. Thing is some on here won`t get the joke

if its a long bit of pipe surely you have to do it upwards!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back