Pipe Benders

I've been using the cheapish Screwfix type for 10 years or so - not a problem.

Sponsored Links
Hilmor for me. Had mine for about 7-8 years and they were second hand when given to me. Have a look on Ebay and see if you can grab an old set, you may get a bargain. If you do get an old set just give the insides of the formers a good clean and they should perform nicely.

Or you could save yourself a few bob, and use bending springs with a bit of string tied to them. Pull the bend very slightly too far then bring it back and you should have no probs. By the way, I have the record benders and they've been really good.

I had considered bending springs, but my worry with those was that if I needed to bend near the middle of a pipe they might get stuck. I've heard you can twist the spring to loosen it back out, but that presumably only works if you have access to the spring, which you won't if it's in the middle of the pipe. I'd also heard that sometimes the springs don't fit into the pipes if you use an auto-cutter.

This is the bender I am looking at getting:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/63880...ols/Pipe-Bending/Irwin-Hilmor-GLM-Pipe-Bender

Website seems to call it a Hilman, (hence the mis-naming in my earlier post), but the link-text and image on the site do confirm it is a Hilmor.

Sponsored Links
I've got the Rothenberger ones, they're OK but as has been suggested the hook dents the pipe without too much effort, when I come to replace them I'll go for Record/Hilmor ones (Irwin/Record/Hilmor are all the same company anyway, probably the same benders with different stickers on)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back