Pipe bender marking/ denting pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey just recently my hilmor pipe bender has starting denting the pipes while bending. Its mainly the part that wraps around the pipe before the bender that's denting the pipe. Any one had this problem before? Is there anyway of fixing it or do I need to buy a new one. My hilmor benders about 5 years old

Sponsored Links
Its mainly the hook that wraps around the pipe that is digging in

Possibly your guides are wearing out. Check the bolt/nut holding the arms together are tight and not allowing any rocking movement. Hillmore are a good make so I doubt one of the arms has been bent which happens to cheap units.

Pete

Sponsored Links
Could it be that the tube you are using isn't up to spec (wall too thin)

I once bought a batch of 28mm from a well known internet supplier and when checked for wall thickness I found it 0.1mm thinner than spec. Might not sound much but it's 10% less copper in the wall giving the tube manufacturer a nice "profit"

Thanks have tighten the nuts and it now seems fine again, saved me £65 on a new one can't live without my benders.

You should strip them down every so often, wire brush and grease everything. It makes them just like new.

Buy rothies
Over Hilmors? nah. Rottenburger don't make tools, just rebrand cheap Chinese rubbish.

Not saying they're better or worse than hilmors but I have to disagree about the quality, had my rothies for over 12 years now and they're still going strong, never had any pinching or throating, in saying that could use a new 15mm guide but that's just down to constant use, which will be replaced soon. Couldn't be happier with them.

My Hilmor must be at least 40 year old possibly 50years. :rolleyes:

i used another fitters hilmors once and i thought they were awful.

guess that makes me the heathen then ;)

Tools are sacred dude.

I can't use other people's. Even if they're the same brand.

Have to be organised the right way too.

Pipe tools one side of the bag, leccy and screwdrivers the other. Soldering has its own box. Pipe clips have their own dedicated section in the van.

Woe betide anyone who puts the cable strippers in with the pipe cutters.

I wince at the underling's tool arrangements. Oh, wait; that doesn't read right :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back