pipe bender marking pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my hilmor pipe bender is marking the pipe were the hook that wraps over the pipe touches the copper. I have put a bit of tape over the hook which has stopped it. Any ideas why it as started doing this?

Sponsored Links
Has it worn out on the pivot point?
I noticed my rothys have done this, when I dismantled and serviced them the other day!
The pivot hole had elongated to a keyhole shape!
Plenty of cleaning and copper grease and they're now good as new. You could try filing that edge of the hook!

As above @Fallout had mine do this before but mine was actually where the "hook" is hinged. It wears over time with the pressures applied and it will sit slightly further forward or at a slight angle to the pipe and mark it. The tape will be taking up that bit of play for the time being but I've found that when they start they won't stop and that includes ripples and slight offsets in the bend. Bin and get new

Jon

If I pull a set in mine its always slightly put of true.

Feel bad decomissioning them though because my dad brought them for me 17 years ago almost

Sponsored Links
Might explain why my Rothy's are always pulling pished sets.... Well it won't be my appalling bending skills ;).

Mind you they're 16 years old this August and have had zero care or attention. :(

Offsets are normally the roller slightly out or the guides. Can sort it for a while by tightening and servicing but it only gets worse. My benders get abused daily, no care, chucked in the back of the van and then expected to work perfect when I needed them. I've been through 4 in the past 18 years.

Jon

Just read the last bit and it sounds wrong! Although I'm sure @jeff the gasman might be filling his sock soon :ROFLMAO:

I made a wrong booking last week, which is why I had 2 hours to kill and is why the Rothy's and my Kopex slice's got some well needed attention :eek:

I just wish the 22mm guide for the Rothy's was about 50mm longer :cautious:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back