FAO people with Hilmor Pipe Benders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought this would be more relevant with the plumbing contingent so thought I'd post in here.

Just a quick question, I picked up one of these Hilmor GLM pipe benders:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/63880...r;jsessionid=F0ZTS5TISI5SYCSTHZOCFGA?ts=59367

They are very good benders, however I just want to confirm that the formers you use are all flat on the back rather than having a groove? Can people confirm?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Back of the formers are flat, pipe side are 'grooved' to fit the copper tube.

I think he means a groove on the back of the former, the Rothenberger ones
(I think) have a V shaped groove running the full length of the former.

I thought they should be flat. The ones I used before had grooves in them but were Rothenberger ones and Record ones. Just wanted to double check!

I have to admit these Hilmor ones are much better than the Rothenbergers, which seems surprising since they are more expensive!

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Must say That its confusing me to

how are they better they both bend pipes dont they?

Well even the cheapest Screwfix benders will bend pipes :p ;)

The rothenbergers I used kept kinking the pipe, the Hilmors gave perfect bends every time. Could be a duff pair I was using but even my tutor used to say he much preferred Hilmor's than anything else.

had em all over the years

could not say which I liked best, all pretty much of a muchness really

:)

my hilmor guides have the grove in the back. Usually if they start to ripple the pipe you need to lubricate the roller bearing. Unless your pipe is below about 5 degree celcius then it is likely to ripple every time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back