Outside Taps - Are elbows really needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was asked to fit an outside tap recently which i still havent got round to doing. However the few outside taps i have actually seen, they all use elbows on the internal pipework, once they tee into the existing cold water supply in the kitchen.

Now what I dont get is why dont experienced plumbers simply use bends on the pipe. A couple of offset bends and the jobs done, no need for elbows etc.

Or is their a reason why bends are not used?

Sponsored Links
Each case if different. Under the sink doesn't need to be the neatest work. Often quicker to use fittings, no need to get bender out of van. Mains water pressure so no problem with pipework resistance. Basically use what you are comfortable using to ensure a leak free job!

While I`ve got me spanners out for the BP elbow/tap and the double check valve and the internal isolating valve and the compression tee in the dribbling mains supply...I might as well use a couple of compression elbows too . Bread+ butter jobs ...worth about 15 beers today :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back