Thermal expansion and 90 elbow end feed copper fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at a recent professional CH installation where there are very long runs of 22mm copper. There are regular offsets to take up the thermal expansion (2mm at an elbow), but the offsets are short so it seems to be just the fittings that are bending to take up the thermal expansion rather than the offset pipe bending .

I took hot and cold measurments today and will calculate the angle the elbows bend later.

I looked on Yorkshire fittings website for the maximum one should allow an end feed elbow to be thermally cycled by but no info could be seen.

Does anyone have a web link to this data?

Sponsored Links
You should Never use fittings for an change of direction expansion, end of story.

That applies to soldered or screwed joints.

Not sure what you are referring to doitall.

I am referring to offsets that are often used to allow for expansion. This is taken from Yorkshire Fittings brochure:

endfeed.jpg

As the offset shortens so the stress on the fitting increases, how much is too much?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that info, having looked through it I have not found the answer so far however.

Try inserting a length of plastic pipe using brass compression joints. Give lots of slack.

Thanks for that info, having looked through it I have not found the answer so far however.

I repeat; You should Never use fittings for an change of direction expansion, end of story.

The example shown are all pulled bends.

You can buy expansion bellows do do the job

That is the proper way to do the job provided you anchor the pipe down.

You can also pull bends as per the examples.

By fittings I mean bends and elbows which was the original question.

You can buy expansion bellows do do the job

That is the proper way to do the job provided you anchor the pipe down.

You can also pull bends as per the examples.

By fittings I mean bends and elbows which was the original question.

I know, I used to do this a lot a few years ago, I used to carry out a lot of installation work on new large supermarket stores, we used to create a loop in the pipes, which used to be a pain when you are using 35mm and 42mm, so we changed and used the bellows and yes we used to anchor at the correct points.

I now see what you mean about the pulled bends.

In the case I am looking at, the CH installation is complete, it works but there are some areas of concern and my role is to make my client aware of them on a goodwill basis. So regarding these offsets, we know they shouldn't have been done this way and I would not do something like that in my home and sleep soundly, but are they likely to break down in the future?

The measured expansion was 2mm on a 135mm offset on 22mm pipe.

I can envisage my client getting another heating engineer to make a report, would he also consider they were at high risk of failure or would he think I was just a scare monger?

Can you draw what you mean - it's not clear where you're measuring the 2mm in relation to the offset..
Is the offset made with endfeed elbows :eek: ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back