Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A big thank-you to all that have advice over the past couple of weeks on my radiator install especially but in no particular order @polesapart, @ianmcd, @Lower, @Madrab, @Nige F and @JimCrow.

So far...so good:
fUGu9Sd.jpg

I'm glad I persevered with the bends as I think it made the runs cleaner in the end. The cut pipe was a pain though so I found myself taking a hacksaw to the the pipe to make a cleaner if irregular cut that the pipe bender would fit into, then used my automatic pipe cutter after the bend was complete to make it cleaner. Those pipe cutters aren't perfect though - I bought a monument one and still got some burrs on the 15mm which needed sorting prior to solder.

I'm not so glad that I used chrome pipe to come up fomr the floor bards as that took far too long to sand down. Got the ends more or less down to the copper so I'm happy with the joint but I'm not sure I would do that again.
MIauf2r.jpg

Notice on the above that there's a new section of 22mm pipe where the first feed to the new rad branches off. That's me screwing it up at midnight when I should have gone to bed. I didn't connect all the joins and then solder dripped into a fitting and I couldn't reposition it. Next morning flying a sortie to Screwfix for a length of 22mm. While placing an order I realised what a street elbow was for so the new tee has one. The return to the right did not but then again I managed a pipe bend that ran the reducing tee which I set at an angle.

The other thing I did was try some Pegler Yorkshire solder rings as opposed to the cheaper unbranded Screwfix ones. I seem to have had the impression that they heated faster and the soldering process was more straight forward. It could just be my imagination though.
vpvCbf7.jpg

The hole in the joist is a little tight. There's movement there but not a great deal - probably should have made a bigger hole but too late now.

The system was on over the weekend when it got cold, I turned the boiler thermostat right up and blasted the hell out of it for a few hours but have been turning all the other TRVs down and keeping the system on as much as possible. No leaks but the kitchen paper is staying under the soldered fittings for a few days at least before the floorboards go back down.

But all in all I'm proud of my efforts. Thanks again all!

Sponsored Links
No leaks but the kitchen paper is staying under the soldered fittings for a few days

Well, nice tidy job, lot better than some so called pro do at times.
I would have put newspaper under the joints you are testing for leaks as any drips will be more evident than on kitchen roll paper

Leak testing,

Draw lines on tissue paper using water soluble ink. If the paper does get wet then the lines will smudge and this is obvious even if the paper dries out before you can inspect it.

very impressed with the quality of your work.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back