Fitting an expansion vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an Alpha CD24S boiler that has over the last few months, required regular top ups and expansion vessel repressurisation. The vessel cannot be removed because of the fantastic design so the solution is a new expansion vessel.
Over the years since the boiler was installed we have added additional radiators and underfloor heating which has probably contributed to the failure of the standard 8l vessel, so I am going bigger (18l because it was cheaper than the 12l version)
There is space is the adjacent cupboard for it and the boiler return pipe is easily accessible. I estimate the pipe run will be about 1-1.5m but with several bends and elbows needed.
The boiler return is 22mm so I was going to fit a 22-15mm reducer to the return and run a pipe to the vessel in 15mm copper. But...
The standard vessel is connected by 10mm pipe, albeit a piece only 30cm long. As the purpose is to balance pressure and not take significant flow, could I use 10mm for the external vessel? It would make installing the pipe quicker and easier as no elbows would be needed. The only downside I can see is the potential for blockage with crud, but is there any other reason why 10mm should not be used?

Sponsored Links
Fair enough and thanks, but I'll use 15mm because I already have the bits.
Thinking about it a bit more, I'm sure the choice of 10mm pipe by the manufacturer is primarily cost based, but also, if there is a short length of narrow 10mm pipe to the internal vessel, the volume entering and leaving the vessel during each pressure cycle would be enough to flush any crap through a short pipe (if only for the duration of the warranty).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back