external expansion vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again looking for some advice regarding the siting of an external expansion vessel on my CH system. the present system has been recently extended and the capacity of a couple of the existing rads increased. we have noticed there has now been an increase in boiler pressure when it has been running a while. the current 6 litre expansion vessel has been tested ok and repressurised but the problem remains. i think we need an extra expansion vessel the problem i have is where to site it. because of where the boiler is in the kitchen there is no place to put it where it will not look very out of place and a bit an eyesore.
the the feed and return pipe to the living room rads run through the cellar would it be possible to break into the return pipe there and fit the expansion vessel in the cellar which is dry and used as a wokshop
I

Sponsored Links
Yes.
Ideally it should be on the return as close as possible to the boiler.
I have previously ordered a flat vessel(like u get inside boilers) and fitted it under the kitchen units and connected it near the boiler (hope that makes sense, it does to me)

thanks for the reply our boiler is on a wall on its own above the kitchen rad with all the pipes neatly boxed in. i have nowhere to hide an expansion vessel and the kitchen has a solid floor. it is possible to fit in the kitchen but do not think the Doris will be happy with an 8 litre red expansion vessel on the wall and it might look even stranger boxed in. if it will work mounted in the cellar its out of sight and easy to maintain

It isn't very important where you put it. Keeping it on the colder pipe is supposed to prolong the life of it. So put it in a convenient place on the return if possible. It should be correctly oriented and placed so that pressure can be periodically checked for pressure.

Sponsored Links
whoops i did not see that typo, been having problems with my r's for some time must see somebody about that. thanks for the help looks like on the return in the cellar then. much easier connection, out of sight and easier to check for maintenance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back