Bending quadrant/scotia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I've been renovating my front room (slowly!) and as part of it I've laid some engineered flooring. I managed to undercut the door frames but trying to do anything with the skirting boards led to all sorts of issues so the flooring has been laid upto (with a wee gap) the existing skirting.

Now the plan is to use some pine quadrant to cap the gap off and paint to match the skirtings (not a fan of the mdf scotia stuff).

However... I have a curved wall in there, I'd say its a radius of around 600mm that I need to 'bend' something around.

I've done a little googling and it seems I have a choice of slotting some quadrant to bend it and then filling before painting or steam bending. I've had half a go at bending with a steamed piece of pine quadrant which kinda worked however the quadrant twisted. I cant seem to work a way of this not happening so was hoping for some pointers from a fellow tradesman/diy'er

Thanks in advance

Mark

Sponsored Links
I looked at that but the room is the last 'period' room in the house and I'm loathed to put PVC stuff in there.

its an option anyway if you are stuck, light oak is a lighter wood colour

Sponsored Links
How many degrees is the curve roughly, is it internal or external, and what size is the quadrant you're using? Will the size you are using cold bend around the curve if you pin and glue it as you go? Or steam it, get it immediately to the job and bend it around and pin it using brass pins? Probably need two of you, one with heat proof gloves to bend the wood, the other to fix.
Otherwise to steam bend quadrant you'd need some sort of former, and leave it clamped in there to "set"
Personally, and with all due respect, I can't see it being worth the effort for something that is going to be painted. Use pvc as already suggested.

I have similar but an S shape to run around, planed off the back of the quadrant just shy of the front edge where it curved and allowed it to bend both directions without snapping.

you could try bending a piece of square section to the curve you need keeping it square and then router the edge to suit

I have heard of soaking the wood in a bath to make it flexible, but I have never tried myself....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back