Bending Threaded Bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to make about 20 U bolts to anchor wooden posts onto a metal pole framework and I cant find these readily available at a suitable price so am considering making my own.

Will an over the counter blow torch from the likes of Screwfix be enough to allow me to bend M10 threaded bar??

TIA

Ian

Sponsored Links
Yes, as long as you don't want a tight bend.
Have you got a local blacksmith, bet he wont charge you much.

Likely to snap the rod, rethink your solution, simple is usually better, maybe just drill the metal pole and bolt or screw thru.

There is a legacy corrugated metal fence in situ and the poles I believe are old scaffold poles which are sunk into the ground with a shuttered concrete base about 12" high. It would be an absolute ball-ache to try and break it all out plus the poles are rock solid and give a decent anchor point.

It has been there for about 40 years!

The poles are about 50-60mm so it was our plan to use them to tie upright 4" posts onto and then put a standard larch lap fence along

Sponsored Links
You'll need a large gas nozzle that runs on propane to bend this......the sort of device that has a 1" barrel.
Heat up with a firebrick surround if you can, and best to make a bending jig out of one of your poles.
The exhaust clamp is an excellent method if you could adapt that!
John :)

What about using that flat metal strip with holes? That'll bend cold round a piece of pipe in a decent vice, with a bit of hammer persuasion. Just clamp the strip vertically with the pipe hz. in the vice, and work it round, angling it to get more bend.

The strip is a good and cheap solution but I can imagine the stress on the holes that you screw through is a weak point. Will a good fall back

Take a look at Ariel pole fittings.
Pole clamps might suit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back