Bent truss

Sponsored Links
No it will be fine.
Just to be clear... When you mentioned the risk of splitting, did you mean the brace or the truss? Because I've just overboarded a ceiling and I must have screwed at least 200 screws in those trusses

Sponsored Links
I've just had a roofer over to take a look.
He has said that the bent web is likely not a problem but he said that he recommends replacing all the connector plates as they are made of wood (see pictures in first post) and replace them with steel ones. He would also add some sort of steel braces connected to the external walls to avoid for the trusses to move.
He reckons it would be around 2000£. I've asked about a simple diagonal bracing and his comment was "that won't do anything more than what you already have. Somehow I am a bit skeptical about all this... what do you guys think?

Actually... Let me open a different discussion about this

Last edited:
ve just had a roofer over to take a look.
.... he recommends ..... it would be around 2000£

No conflict of interest there. Never let a trades person comment on structural work outside of their expertise or recommend work that they will then get paid for.

Truss work is not a roofers job, it's a carpenter's. Roofers are not normally qualified to comment on structural truss bracing. No offence to roofers.

replacing all the connector plates as they are made of wood
By that logic you should replace the trusses too, because they are also made of wood

Have the connectors rotted, yet the trusses have not?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back