Bentone B9B burner pump alignment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a wee bit of an issue with this.......I had to fit a replacement motor (new, genuine item) to the B9B.
When replacing the pump (complete with a new drive dog) if the 3 allen screws are any more than finger tight, the pump goes out of alignment slightly, just enough to give a tight spot when the fan is spun.
I'm not so dim as to tighten the screws unevenly or too much, but this time I've had to leave them a little slacker than I would really like.....
I'd be delighted to hear any comments and advice!
John :)

Sponsored Links
I once went to service an Inter Burner (B9, B11 maybe) which only had two of the three securing screws fitted. No problem I thought... while I am here I will fit a third and everything will be wonderful. I told customer "they had a screw loose" and that I had fitted a replacement. When I turned the boiler on the fan motor would not turn. I took the screw back out again and it worked fine.
I guess you have to leave your screws slightly loose to avoid the flat spot.

Thanks for the reply Dave......that's the exact scenario I'm dealing with.
The burner is making a slight resonance, which can be changed naturally enough, by placing a finger on the pump.
My gut feeling is to replace the pump, but it hasn't any leaks or play in the spindle at all, and delivers the required pressure without any difficulty.
(I was ripped off with the new motor price (£83) but needed it in a hurry - so want to spare the customer further pain if possible.)

i had this the other day with a danfoss oil pump, called them and they said the just slacken off the screws then gave some excuse :)

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the reply, Mr Rem.....
Engineering wise, either the fit of the pump to the motor is too slack, or maybe the pump face isn't exactly perpendicular to the shaft.
I'll see how things go, but I'm not too happy with this outcome!

no i wasent either, however we are talking about to different parts made by two different companies. if it was a large industrial motor it may be well engineered but we are talking about a £60 fuel pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back