best adhesive and grout for shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

First thing. Many thanks to all who advised me when I was tiling my bathroom. That project is finished now and it looks great.

I've now moved onto my ensuite bathroom. This should go a lot slicker as I learnt a lot with previous jobs.

When I pulled out the old shower (in the ensuite) I was stunned at the amount of water damage! I want to do everything possible to stop it happening again. So off will come all the old plasterboard and I'll be using some kinda aqua panel. I see BnQ has some very roboust (12mm) concrete type board. I'm thinking of using it, any advise?

Also. When I come to tiling I want to use the best possible/waterproof grout and adhesive. Can someone please reccommend a product?

Thanks in advance ... Mick

Sponsored Links
I used BlueHawk or Bal and sometimes Granfix. All water proof and nonslip. Use the same brand of mix yourself grout and key it in well. Ready mix grout nearly always leaves little air bubbles and these will let water through when it has dried out.

Tony

I used BlueHawk or Bal and sometimes Granfix. All water proof and nonslip. Use the same brand of mix yourself grout and key it in well. Ready mix grout nearly always leaves little air bubbles and these will let water through when it has dried out.
Tony

Don't get too carried away by the word "waterproof" Tony.

Quote from the sticky..... "Whether you decide to use powdered adhesive or pre-mixed adhesive you should ALWAYS use a powdered grout. Note: there is a popular misconception that grout is waterproof and that it will not let water through. This is generally incorrect (speciality grouts can be waterproof but for the general user grouts they are not), grouts for regular use may say it is waterproof or water resistant - all this means is that it is suitable for areas that get wet. It means that once wet the grout will not deteriorate into mush."

Regular grout (including water resistant and waterproof) is porous and as such will allow water to pass through it. To protect the substrate in a shower environment properly, you should really be considering a tanking product.

Sponsored Links
Grout is like a sponge but even worse in that cacky ready mixed form, I know where you are coming from though Gcol.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back