Best blade for job.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All, would you good people be so kind as to recommend the best quality / value for money disc for cutting 12mm thick quarry tiles, the disc size would be 180mm diameter with a 22mm bore.

The diamond disc in the machine that I have (Clarke ETC6) came with the machine and although new, is struggling badly to cut these tiles, even given plenty of time to cut, the blade struggles really quite badly even to the point that the machine stops due to the blade not being able to get through the tile.

I realise that my machine is not what a pro would use (I'm not a tiler) but would have thought that it should cut these tiles more easily than it does given the fact that it has a 450Watt motor and a no load speed of 2990 RPM, so I'm thinking that maybe the blade is the problem, what do you guys think, is it the blade or is the machine not up to the job or even a combination of both,
your comments / advice would be much appreciated,

Regards,
Davyboy.

Sponsored Links
Looking at the tile cutter you have a lot of blade in contact with the tile which causes drag,also keeping it well topped up with water is a must.
I was cutting vitrified porelain tiles using a similar cutter and put in a 150mm blade instead of 180mm and cut then face down to prevent the face of the tiles breaking out,seemed to work ok.

I normally use a little plas plugs cutter and have only ever had it struggle once in two years.It's tiled numerous bathrooms,floors and kitchens.

At the end of the day, you've only got a 450watt motor to play with. If you want the best performance for it, then you want one of the marcrist blades on here http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/180mm__7___Wheels.html They're not cheap, but believe me, if you do any amount of tiling, they're worth every penny. They cut really fast because they're very thin and they last for ages. (Lance, get one - that's an order!)

I picked up a new one of these http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=120800&Referrer=Froogle for about £30 delivered (from ebay) a few years back. It's a 900watt jobbie and it's pretty good, but to be honest I prefer a marcrist blade in an angle grinder. ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back