Jig saw blade for cutting tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any thin diamond blades to go in a jigsaw which can usefully cut out switch holes in wall tiles?

If so where can they be bought and which ones to avoid?

Most jobs I have seen they have used an angle grinder with diamond blade but the usual 110 mm is a little big. Are there any smaller diameter diamond blades which fit a standard angle grinder?

Tony

Sponsored Links
i used them on stone flooring and cut out for a waste pipe for a toilet brilliant finish would expect a reasonable finish but only a guess :D

why not ask if they have a spare tile you can practice on:cool:

Sponsored Links
Mark the hole you want to cut on the back of the tile. Cut hole from back of the tile with an angle grinder. Cut small bits at a time, turn tile over and check size of hole from front. This way you can cut small holes with a big blade. Or, mark your hole on the front, drill though the tile on the 4 corners, turn tile over, draw a pencil line joining 4 holes and using an angle grinder grind out to just past each drill hole. Job done.

Are there any thin diamond blades to go in a jigsaw which can usefully cut out switch holes in wall tiles?

If so where can they be bought and which ones to avoid?

Most jobs I have seen they have used an angle grinder with diamond blade but the usual 110 mm is a little big. Are there any smaller diameter diamond blades which fit a standard angle grinder?

Tony

I've used one of the jigsaw blades for a bit of DIY, worked great and I just bought it at B&Q as far as I can remember. Drill 4 corners out and join with the jigsaw, like a hot knife through butter. There was another thread on this not long ago and someone posted a video of a pro using a "toffee hammer" to knock through a tile in no time at all.

depends on the tile. for a ceramic wall tile they are great, but a decent floor tile or a porcelain, they are rubbish.

My brief experience of them was that they were rubbish for tile work - another tool on the job, a starter hole to bore, and as above, only good for thin or soft tile.

Perhaps i had a bad experience?

Between the modern bits, and a cordless angle grinder blade, most odd shapes can be cut out - anything straightforward can be opened up on the wet saw.

Well I have started my tiling in a small toilet to give me some practice before doing the rest of the 20 m sq walls!

The lightswitch luckily happened to be between tiles and I just cut lines 10 mm apart and snapped each finger off. That was easy!

Tony

Mark the hole you want to cut on the back of the tile. Cut hole from back of the tile with an angle grinder. Cut small bits at a time, turn tile over and check size of hole from front. This way you can cut small holes with a big blade. Or, mark your hole on the front, drill though the tile on the 4 corners, turn tile over, draw a pencil line joining 4 holes and using an angle grinder grind out to just past each drill hole. Job done.

;)
Yep...the way to do it and you can do it this way also on a wet saw....

Or look at my video on you tube... :LOL: ..tictic70 lol

Tony...big chez from uhm has a video off the one with a wet saw...

Next time get your set out ...correct...before any tile fixing... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back