cutting floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to make some odd cuts in some of my tiles (not just straight cuts for which I already have a basic cutter) to allow for radiator pipes, weird angles round by door frames, kitchen unit legs, etc.

Can I use a jigsaw with adapted blade for this? If so, do I need a diamond blade or will a carbide blade do the job?

ALternatively, would a diamond blade + angle grinder be better or a wet saw?
Don't want to spend too much...

Sponsored Links
If you already have a grinder then get a diamond blade for that otherwise a cheap wet cutter will do.

Jason

an angle grinder is going to have more long term usage isn't it?
What sort of wattage would you go for at a minimum? Only thing I'm worried about is kick back but I have all the safety gear already for other tools...
...suppose I could get an anti kick back one (e.g. Bosch).

Also, do you cut through the tile with these or just score them and then break out the scored shape?

DrGonzo said:
an angle grinder is going to have more long term usage isn't it?
What sort of wattage would you go for at a minimum? Only thing I'm worried about is kick back but I have all the safety gear already for other tools...
...suppose I could get an anti kick back one (e.g. Bosch).

Also, do you cut through the tile with these or just score them and then break out the scored shape?
Anything like this will do just lovely http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100368&ts=08991&id=40020
Cut all the way through the tile - or if you are struggling with a tight corner you can cut through the glaze and cut the back of the tile, then tap the waste piece and it will fall away. You can then tickle up the edge with the grinder blade for a neater edge.

Sponsored Links
There's one part where I have to cut round a door frame and the frame has a shape like this:

doorframe.JPG

Tile goes in the stripey area.
Because of the awkwardness and unsquareness of the room, this is quite a thin cut before the next tile starts...hence the need for a better cutting tool than just the basic floor tile cutter/splitter.

To get round this door frame shape, would it be best to cut it with the grinder and then use a nibbler for the frame shape...or just fill up that gap with grout?

I'm a graphic designer can't you tell.
It's like this:
doorframe2.JPG

2 whole tiles in the doorway, with thin ones at either edge. I couldn't get the alignment any better than this so it makes it difficult.
Then half tiles off to the left.

Do I just cut them like indicated or should I make a more intricate cut so it fits round the door frame bit perfectly?

Now why didn't you do that in the first place? ;) :D
You should really cut the tile around the profile so that your grout gap remains constant. Either get yourself a profile gauge or make a template out of card and get it a nice fit.
You could make that cut with ease with an angle grinder with a decent blade. Once marked out, you could cut that tile to fit in less than 2 mins. You just do as much of the cutting as you can on the face side, then turn it over and finish off on the other side. Then just tickle the corners square with the blade and the job's a good un.

You could also cut the bottom of the door stop off so the tile slips under it :D

Jason

It takes longer, generally chips the timber (meaning repainting) and doesn't look any better IMO. It's the practice of people that can't cut tiles properly. ;)

a cheapo wet tile cutter with the safety guard off will do it easy, but make sure you wear goggles and a waterproof apron:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back