Best Brand Boilers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Ok, I'm now in the position to accept one of two quotes.

However, before I do so, I want to make sure I'm getting the correct powered boiler.

One quote has suggested a 30kW Worcester Bosch combi, the other has suggested getting the 37kW WB Combi, due to its higher hot water flow rate.

I did some calculations using some calculators from the web, and the heating requirements were approx 20kW, so assuming I was even close, do you think I'd be better going for the 30kW boiler, because I'd be wasting more gas than I needed to with the more powerful boiler?

I know you can't really comment on my requirements other than what I tell you, but it's a terraced (although it's more like end terraced) 3 floor (ground, 1st, 2nd) with 11 rads, double paned (not double glazed) windows and some nice draughty wooden floors :)

So, wasteful going for the 37kW, or by getting one will I be making sure I will get enough heat and hot water?

The heating capacity is irelevant - how much hot water do you want to have avaialble?

If you mainly shower, then 30Kw will be fine. If you run lots of baths then a 37kW will do it quicker.

UPDATE: I finally got my boiler/system installed last week.

Ended up going for a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 37CDi and replaced the plastic pipework on the ground floor with copper.

COmpany that installed it had a hell of time on the first day just trying to figure out where all the pipes went and came from! I think my house was previously piped by a madman :) The guy was there until 10:30 at night, with no breaks!

Second day was exceedingly busy, people under the floor with blowtorches (not a settling thing to know about!), massive core drills, what fun :)

Anyway, the house is now really warm, and the gas meter is ticking round much slower :)

So thanks everyone for the tips and advice. Now a happy owner of a new heating system :)

And the total cost paid???

Did they complete the Benchmark certificate?

Tony

£4282.

Benchmark is a funny one. He refused to fill it out because:

1. Not a legal requirement. Also checked with Worcester Bosch, apparently it won't affect my warranty
2. If I get it serviced by someone who doesn't then fill out the boiler history and does a bad job, his name is the last one on the list as working on it, which makes it look as if it was his bad work.

As long as it's not legally required, and doesn't affect my warranty, I'm not fussed. I did discuss getting the Corgi certificate thing, which is all underway, so I'm happy.

Are you quite sure he is CORGI registered?

Has he notified the installation to CORGI and have they written to you with a certificate confirming he is registered?

We give this advice all the time but still householders get caught!

Tony

But, I don't think I am out of budget. Just had a quote for the Vitodens 200 fully installed with 10 new rads by an Edinburgh based Veissman certified installer (got their details from the Veissman website) for £2400 (rough estimate obviously), so I think I'm on target.

Whatever happened to that quotation?

Did it not stand up to the light of day?

Tony

Oh yes, don't worry, I didn't let him through the door until I checked his ID online. The company he works for is also Corgi registered.

I have been assured that they will notify Corgi, however, as it's only just a week since they finished the work, I haven't got anything back from them yet.

My rule of thumb pricing comes to £4600 inclusive of everything. That includes water treatment and a full guarantee.
Tony

Well it seems your final price was within a few percent of my quick price calculation so that sounds quite fair to me!

Tony

Whatever happened to that quotation?

Did it not stand up to the light of day?

Tony

Funnily enough when I started asking questions the guy just vanished.

I was comfortable with the company that did the work. I researched them, asked lots of questions, and was never at any point unhappy with how they were doing the work as I was in the house the whole time. They were always happy to stop and show/explain what they were doing.

Oh yes, don't worry, I didn't let him through the door until I checked his ID online. The company he works for is also Corgi registered.

This is begining to sound as if he was working "on the side" ! In that case he is NOT registered to work for you unless the job is through his employer!

That may explain why he would not fill in the Benchmark ?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back