Best but not too expensive Boiler Descaler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Due to what seems to be Ketteling in the pipes in my boiler I would like your opinion what is the best Boiler descaler and Boiler noise reducer to try?
Prefer to only have to buy one thing that does both things.
There is budget ones available but I have no idea if they are any good.
I do'nt think I have much sludge in the system bevause I know when I drain from a radiator all that comes out is the faint yellow water from the inhibitor.
If there is any sludge in the system I recon it is solid. My boiler just started making the banging come cracking of pipes noise so I thoght maybe limescale biuld up in the heat exchange.
What shall I try?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wonder what sort of boiler you have, and how old it is.

I wonder how clean the feed and expansion tank is, and if it has been pumping-over or topping up a leak.

I wonder how frequently the inhibitor has been topped up, and how much has been drained away.

While we're wondering, I will also wonder whether the pump is functioning correctly.

I think the OP needs to supply a bit more information.

I also wonder if you really have hard water as I thought that Suffolk was mostly rather soft and so unlikely to cause lime scale.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I wonder what sort of boiler you have, and how old it is.

I wonder how clean the feed and expansion tank is, and if it has been pumping-over or topping up a leak.

I wonder how frequently the inhibitor has been topped up, and how much has been drained away.

Boiler Glowworm Ultimate 40Ff aprox 14 years old
Feed tank very clean as I drained system to fit new raiator August 2012
Inhibitor top up August 12
New Pump fitted by Plumber about Oct 2012

Sentinel X200 is designed to break up lime scale on heat exchangers to make boilers quiet.

How effective that is depends on exactly what the problem really is.

DIYers often guess at the cause and not always correctly.

If X200 did not work then it may not be lime based scale in the boiler.

Metal oxides are best dissolved by DS 40 or citric acid but that can also cause leaks and may not be the best product for DIY use.

Tony

can you do DIY plumbing? have you got a hundred pounds?

IF the boiler is kettling as a result of lime scale then he should ty X200 first as thats designed for the problem.

A mag filter will not remove lime scale nor trap it in most designs either.

Tony

I did not have a magnet in mind

but once he starts using chemical cleaners, I reckon a lot of muck will come loose, and it would be an advantage to start trapping it, and to carry on indefinitely.

A simple gauze filter is less than £10 !

How do you make that cost £100 ?

Specifications:

The TF1 uses a 9,000 Gauss magnet and has 97% first pass efficiency. BS EN ISO 9001 / 14001.

Since it contains a magnet then I would class it as a magnetic filter!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back