Best carpenters pencil..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The carpenter on my job was going on about a pencil he had acquired,reccons its one of the best,cant remember the name of it now.

He said a lot of them are rubbish with the wood part being made up stuff.

Just wondering what other people on here use,or not.
rob.

Sponsored Links
hi,
i bought some carpenters pencils a while ago,sharpened them proprely and had a loveley point on them, it snaped with a tiny amoung of pressure if you do get any get extra hard ones, i just use normal pencils, 2H are nice and hard yet dont score the wood :)

tom

I normally use a 2H pencil or marking knife for marking out anything in the workshop, but on site I'll use anything. Have even used a screw to mark timber on site when I couldn't find my pencil. ;) ;) ;) ;)

hi,
i bought some carpenters pencils a while ago,sharpened them proprely and had a loveley point on them, it snaped with a tiny amoung of pressure if you do get any get extra hard ones, i just use normal pencils, 2H are nice and hard yet dont score the wood :)

tom

Great minds think alike ehh. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
:D thats quite a compliment for me being compared to someone called "JOINER john" lol

yep same here,2 h pencils all the time,ive never got on with using the carpenters pencils,coz they wont stay behind my ears.ive worn the correct grove into my lugs holes for 2h and i aint goner change now :LOL:

I get the thick red chinese ones from the market 10 for a £1. No wimpy 2h ones for me :p

The actual use of them is a non-issue as they tend to get lost, droped, broken in pocket etc before I have used 1/4 length of them

Can't beat a nice 1/4" thick marker pen though

The actual use of them is a non-issue as they tend to get lost, droped, broken in pocket etc before I have used 1/4 length of them

Yes have to agree there, mine very rarely wear out. But then it's a case of popping into the site office to "ask" a question, picking up a pencil to illustrate something and just sticking it behind your ear afterwards and walking out :D can't remember when I last actually brought a pencil.
That said 2H are good HB's are ok if you don't mind sharpening every time you come to use it, actual carpenters pencils are ok but regular ones are more verstial in my option and just like TT I will and have used anything form a knife to a screw to mark things. White pencils are good for working with oak and other dark woods but I tend to just keep these in my workshop rather than loose them on site.
Has anybody else heard the story that Chippendale used to file the nail on his right hand to a point to use it as a marker? I heard this years ago and whilist it makes a good story I couldn't see it lasting very well.

You can buy black edge carpenters pencils that now come with a sharpener anno they are rectangle in shape but some how they have made a sharpener sounds silly when u can use a stanley but it gives u a really fine point..

Yes a colleague showed me one of those sharpeners recently. Seemed "odd" really that a rotary action sharpened them although it did sharpen to more of a point rather than a sharp edge if you know what I mean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back