solid wood worktop issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I had worktops fitted about 8 weeks ago and have noticed them bowing from back to front. After putting a straight edge on the worst part, there is a 10mm drop at the front.

I bought the worktops from an online retailer and the carpenter fitted them for me.

After fitting and sanding I oiled the surface 3 times with danish oil and then a final coat of stain.

I have just looked on the website of the seller and they state that it should have one coat of oil underneath and three on top.

The carpenter didn't mention anything to me about oiling the bottom before fitting, he just cut them fitted them and sanded them.

When I asked him recently he said that he has fitted a lot of solid wood worktops and never oiled the bottom before fitting.

Would a coat of oil underneath made a difference or are these just poor quality worktops.

I would like to know who is at fault. If it is down to me and the carpenter, then I will not take this any further.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
They usually come already treated so should not need additional coats on the underside , but, they do need a foil protection above any appliance, cooker, w/m, d/w etc to prevent steam warping them.They should be well secured with slotted plates which allow a little movement.

Hi foxhole.

They are warping in other areas other then over an appliance and the worst area is above the freezer.

I've bought and fitted plenty that had no presealing. You do need to oil the underside, I usually do it at least twice.

The reason for treating the top & bottom the same is that any changes in humidity will be absorbed by the worktop at an equal rate.

They usually tend to cup if not coated on the underside as moisture gets in and makes the underside expand. Yours are likely drying out making the bottom contract. The heat from your freezer would also point to this being the problem. Is it properly ventilated?? Any appliance should have foil protection above it.

Did you let them sit in the house for a week or two to settle down or fit them straight away?

J

Sponsored Links
Hi Jasonb.

They were in the house for a few days and then they were fitted.

I also had some plastering done within the area of where they were fitted, so there was probably excess moisture from that.

will they stop at some point or keep warping.

Is there anything else you can advise.

Thanks.

If it is humid due to the plastering then this should drop and hopefully the worktops will start to flatten out, you may want to try a dehumidifier. If they do go back flat then get the same treatment you used on the top onto the underside.

J

Hi.

They started warping before I had it plastered.

How do I get underneath without taking them off. There are certain areas where I can't see the underneath.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back