Best central heating cover for older boilers/systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

As everyone may have realised from my numerous posts on here about my ancient boiler system....

I have a Ideal Concord WRS 240B (mid 80's I believe) in a in-direct, gravity fed,vented system.

I am trying to find the best central heating cover for the price. I don't care about a highly monthly cost but I want the security of knowing it will be fixed.

I also need to find a company who will cover my ye olde boiler, but when I go onto the companys pages and select ideal it will not show the model number as it's probably too old.

What is the best central heating cover for older systems/boilers

BW

Sponsored Links
Your boiler is so simple there is little to go wrong.

Few if any insurance deals will cover a boiler over 10 years old as a frest start.

I dont see how it can be expected to be cheaper for you than a local engineer who charges per breakdown.

Few of our repair visits come to more than £130 total and most current boilers run for at least three years between faults. ( Keston and Saunier Duval excepted ).

Your model would usually run for at least five years between faults. That assumes a proper professional repair when it does go wrong.

Tony

Cheers my friend, you sound like an expert :D

On my last gas check as I've leasehold property it mentioned the Concord Seals starting to fade (case seals) & rust in casing.

I have had quoted £65 for case seal renewal + boiler service, is that a good deal that I should take up and what in particular should I be asking for in the service to ensure it lasts as long as possible.

My plan is to stay in the property for another 5.5 years, If I was staying there longer term I would have it replaced next year but I don't want the expense and it should (like you said) easily last another 5.5 years with a odd service or two.

Lastly, as you seem such an expert any idea how old my boiler is? I reckon 26 years old (1984) but do you know when they produced them from-to

Kind Regards

BW

Rust in the casing depending on its severity could cause it to fail at some point.

Its false economy not to replace such an old boiler. Not only will you get about a 30% saving on gas costs but an old boiler will be a negative aspect when you sell the property and have more effect on the sale price than the cost of replacement.

Its best to sell a property with a newish boiler which is still under the warrantee as thats a positive selling point.

Viessmann boilers have a 5 year warranty when installed by an approved installer.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Agile, Yes I can see what you are saying about replacing it. I would however like to get at least another 3-4 years if possible

Can I surely get a new/decent refurbished case for the boiler? or am I being too daft?

Anything I can do to extend it's life, it's only on boiler thermostat setting 1, which is the lowest and this is hot enough for hot water and all central heating temperature.

Regards

BW

If you annual gas bill was £600 then you could save about £200 pa making a total saving of £800 over four years so about 50% of the cost of replacing it!

Tony

Hi Agile, Annual gas bill estimated to be around £400-450

Still will think about replacing it in 3-4 years, hopefully it will last that long.

BW

Make sure there is sufficient, good quality inhibitor in the system, in case of doubt, add a bottle.
The number one reason for old boilers to die is corrosion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back