Ideal Concord WRS 240B Boiler not 'on' all the time it's on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening, my boiler is the: Ideal Concord WRS 240B, my ye olde boiler no laughing!!

I just have one question, it comes on for an hour (AM, PM) each day to hea the hot water (it's not set to central heating as it's not needed yet).

So it comes on from 5pm-6:30pm. Within that time it comes on straight away when it's meant to, it then stays on for about 9 minutes and then turns itself off, give it say 15 mins break and then it's starting again. It repeats this 'cycle' all of the time it's 'on'. I though it would be 'on' all the time whilst it's meant to be on not cycling between 15-20 mins of operation and 10 mins 'resting'.

I'm expecting another 6 years out of this baby and just want to know whether the above is a fault that I can remedy to ensure it lasts longer.

Just to add my CH system is in-direct + Vented.

Regards

BW

Sponsored Links
Probably air or scale in the system.

Check the header tank has water first then run the pump for 20mins.

Hi, forgive me apprehension, not much experience in these matters.

So am i checking the smaller of the two tanks in the loft, what do I need to look for? Do I then turn on the central heating and monitor something?

Regards

BW

does the hot water get hot. if yes, there is no problem. Boilers cycle when they're on, especially old ones.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Yer the water gets very hot, it's never cold. Thanks for you advice, least I know it's not absolutely knackered.

Cheers
BW

You could turn the boiler stat down a tad 2-3 is plenty for how water.

Hi,

It's currently on NO 4 which is apparently 71 degrees. I got advised by a friend to always have the boiler temp 10 degrees higher than hot water tank temp (which is 60)

Will temp setting 3 on boiler be sufficient for central heating & water than (as well as saving gas). My friend also mentioned about any possible condensation and I need to ensure that the setting is high enough to stop any of this as well, apparently.

Regards

BW

Perhaps you should ask your friend why they bother with numbers below 4 ;)

Start at a lower number 2-3 and turn it up a tad as it gets colder.

Perhaps your friend is thinking about oil boilers :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back