Annual Gas Check on Ideal Concord WRS 240B results....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening, I've had my yearly gas check today (only moved in end of July so my first whilst at the property).

My Ye-olde Ideal Concord WRS 240B was checked over. I wasn't in but my lodger was and he made a comment about the WRS being ancient, cheeky man!

It passed all thee tests but with these comments in the boxes:

"Concord seals starting to fade & rust in casing"

Do I need to get the seals changed on the boiler to keep it running tip top or does it need a good service?

Or when the seals was mentioned is that a common comment on a boiler so old and it will last another 6 years anyway??

Regards

BW

Sponsored Links
Hi, I hope so somehow! :eek:

Is the gas engineer referring to the seal of the 'shell' or a seal deep in the machine critical to safety?

I hopefully can track one down somewhere, is it better to call the gas company (who carried out the gas check as per the leasehold service charge) and mention that I would like a service performing on the boiler & replace the seals?

Regards

BW

Hi,

Does anybody believe it's worth trying to get the seals changed or is what the bloke said a bit 'over the top' considering the boiler is 20-25 years old.

What else can be done to it 'service wise' to give it another 10 years, you'll have to explain each word so I can quote it to the person who does it,

I'm on the understanding of it's maybe needs the seal replacing but will need; the burner bars cleaning, pilot light area cleaning and heat exchanger cleaning?

Sponsored Links
if it was a safety issue you would know by the paperwork

sounds as if he was noting it is all

a service certainly wouldn't do any harm ;)

That's better than Kevplumb :D ,

Can you list the items which will need cleaning and whatnot for a good service to ensure it last's another 6 odd years.

I'm guessing; main seal replace, clean burners bars, pilot light area and heat exchanger, anything else which will lengthen it's life

Regards

BW

Nothing will help prolong its life the boiler is on borrowed time anyway. May i suggest rather than worrying about spending extra money on spares that may or not be available to keep it going a bit longer you start putting a few quid aside to replace it in the near future.

Hi Petit_pablo,

I'm not sure what to believe about my boiler. Some people say, as you did, it's on borrowed time and likely to need replacing soon and some people say that it will last another 10 easily if it's serviced each year.

What else can be done to it 'service wise' to give it another 10 years, you'll have to explain each word so I can quote it to the person who does it,
Tell him to stick a new heat exchanger in and a new gas valve, a new burner wouldn't do any harm either. It'll be like our yard brush, we got it for a quid ten years ago, it's only had two new heads and three handles and it's like new.

Hi Petit_pablo,

I'm not sure what to believe about my boiler. Some people say, as you did, it's on borrowed time and likely to need replacing soon and some people say that it will last another 10 easily if it's serviced each year.

It may well last another 10 years. There is very little to go wrong in it. However there is every chance something could break and be irrepairable due to the age and spares availability.
Obviously there i also the issue of efficiency, a modern boiler could save upto 30% on your bills.

I note your point about efficiency but the fact that I live on the 1st floor of my flat and that I get lovely free :D heating through the floorboards means I only have to have the boiler on an hour a day to supply all the hot water I need.

Keeping that in mind, efficiency gains won't be that great for the amount of gas I need will it?

I note your point about efficiency but the fact that I live on the 1st floor of my flat and that I get lovely free :D heating through the floorboards means I only have to have the boiler on an hour a day to supply all the hot water I need.

Keeping that in mind, efficiency gains won't be that great for the amount of gas I need will it?

Quite possibly not, energy efficiency is calculated on Mr average in his average house with average usage!

Actually, ( I love that word :LOL: ) why not save the boiler and use the immersion heater. it will last 10 years easy then. :rolleyes:

If I planned to stay in my flat for many many years I would have no hesitation. However my Plan is to be in my flat only for another 5 and half years. Hopefully the boiler will last the majority of that time and if it comes to needing a new one during my last year then so be it but because I'm not in the house for the long term I would like to avoid replacement if possible.

I'll know next time when buying a place about having boilers that noah installed, I guess it's a learning curve......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back