Best cover for Gloworm Ultimate 80FF?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a property with an old Gloworm Ultimate 80FF and I'm wondering what the best way to cover it for breakdown is?

I think BG will cover boiler and controls only for £10/month with an annual service and £50 excess but what other options are there?

In my previous property we had a WB installed and took out 5 years cover for £250 with WB but I can't see a similar option on the GW site.

I don't really want to leave it and risk getting ripped off (like I have in the past - £370 to replace an air pressure switch including 2 trips for a switch and then again because the plumb shop gave him the wrong one).

BG also seem to do one off callouts for £69+.

TIA

Sponsored Links
most of the people who post on here and give up there time and expertise for free are self employed and probably don't take to kindly to the insinuation we rip people off. There are plenty of honest and reliable heating engineers about who can look after your simple and reliable boiler for less money than you would pay for a bunch of salesman to come around to your house and tell you whats not covered and what latest gadget you should be buying for them, but fair enough if thats what you want.
(apologies to decent BG, service company guys, but lets face it your getting rare now)

Thanks for your reply, I wasn't trying to suggest that all independents are going to rip me off, if independent is the way to go then that's fine but how do I find a decent independent? The only thing I can think of is to ask neighbours who does theirs.

Moved into a property with an old Gloworm Ultimate 80FF and I'm wondering what the best way to cover it for breakdown is?

I think BG will cover boiler and controls only for £10/month with an annual service and £50 excess but what other options are there?

In my previous property we had a WB installed and took out 5 years cover for £250 with WB but I can't see a similar option on the GW site.

I don't really want to leave it and risk getting ripped off (like I have in the past - £370 to replace an air pressure switch including 2 trips for a switch and then again because the plumb shop gave him the wrong one).

BG also seem to do one off callouts for £69+.

TIA

Put the £10 into a bank account every month and when you have the first serious fault with the boiler replace it. The glow worm ultimates are fairly bomb proof. Just fans really to go and they run around £100.
BG are usually hopeless and all they will want to do is sell you an expensive powerflush or replacement boiler.

Sponsored Links
Carthorse of a boiler, simple to work on and fix ,pay to have it serviced.

Get a relationship with one of the tens of thousands of independent honorable self employed registered gas fitters, unless you want to throw money at BG and look at the reviews they get before you take the plunge.

BG are not the Gas Board as was !

I think most would agree with me that these "breakdown Covers" are rip offs.

Lets just say: you dont have a breakdown for a year you wasted £120.

If you do have a breakdown it can be something very small and cheap to have repaired.

Also dont be fooled by BG they will come out, check it (probably dont even know whats really wrong with it) ORDER a part, come back in a few days or even a week with the part and bang it in. It migth still not work.

Put that £10 a month to a side, and let it build up so in case it does go wrong you got the cash there anyway. With a local corgi he could get the part for you next day and possibly fit it in for you.

Dont worry we all got ripped off somewhere along our lives. Get a few quotes if in doubt, mate.

JUst to add to that £69 call out charge. I spoken to them about it, got a new property the boiler wasnt working, they said its £69 for the first 29mins, 30mins-59 mins is £120, 60to god knows what min is £150 etc etc. I called out a local gas man, after several other locals, he came down, charged me £280 including pcb with labour, and guess what? In his van he had many parts for most boilers and done the job in less than 45mins.

if you have any local forums they are a good place to start for recommendations. Also try friends/relatives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back