Best DIY floor for kitchen diner

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so kitchen diner is almost ready .... but, what sort of floor to put down?

Had a quote for vinyl sheet, and with levelling screed it is about £1000.

The concrete screed is very smooth, great job, so I could probably easily DIY it.

Is laminate a bad idea in a kitchen? I don't recall ever getting a bad flood in out kitchen, so not sure why it would be bad ...? I could get cheap laminate that almost matches the oak effect worktop for about £221 : https://www.ukflooringdirect.co.uk/...a-deal-8mm-trend-oak-nature-laminate-flooring

Even cheaper would be something like for https://www.discountflooringdepot.co.uk/living-natural-oak-6mm-flat-ac3-2-73m2-p1561 £179.85

Otherwise, I guess tiling is the next easiest? Or, just throw down some vinyl.... but one wrong cut and its buggered!

Sponsored Links
I tiled our kitchen floor, was hard work because of leveling (which yours already is).

Best decision I made, hard wearing and you don't have to worry whats been spilt on it etc. Quick sweep and mop and good as new!.

Used hand mixed tile adhesive, not premixed dross and BAL Micromax (2?) grout which is and excellent product!.

Had laminate down before but was never happy with it.

20170824_142338.jpg
20170824_225018.jpg

how was the cutting of the tiles?

my floor, laid this morning ...

IMG_20180630_164201139.jpg

Sponsored Links
I used a tile scribe and snap cutter for the majority, a water fed tile saw for some tricky ones and also a diamond wheel on a dremel.

Get all the full ones down first then take your time with the cuts.

20170821_125548.jpg
20170822_195808.jpg
20170821_133701.jpg

mind you, tiles are a lot more expensive?

£300 for all the tiles and adhesive at B & Q iirc?.

If you go for laminate go for a decent quality brand and fitting, QuickStep is excellent (Uniclick fitting).

When I looked for laminate for our living room some of the fitting systems wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes imho..

I hope the firm who gave you a quote for £1000 was allowing a liquid dpm in their price as it will need one with the concrete screed being new.

That might be a winner then!
How to fit - just put down a underlay and put them in place?
Any gluing to do?

yes, was a liquid thing going down, green. I think.

No gluing
Get some airflow going on in the floor to dry some moisture off it.
Use a dpm underlay.
Timbermate excel and timber tech silver are good but not cheap.

all doors are open. No rush on putting the kitchen floor down though, will get it decorated, kitchen installed etc. before thinking about it. Should leave it about 2 months if putting DPM over it I think.
Lounge carpet coming in two weeks though! So need to get that room painted first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back