best door closer - which kind/method

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks,
what's the best thing for closing a door? I have had the perko kind with a chain in the past, but am now changing doors and am looking at other possibilities. I've come across raised butt hinges and springed hinges as alternatives. What are the pros/cons of the different types? purely from a installation point of view, the springed hinges are easiest, in that I have to put new hinges on so there's no need to fit anything else. I imagine raised butt hinges might be tricky. I could just remove he perko ones from the old doors and fit them again. Any opinions?

Sponsored Links
Of all the methods I've ever used I reckon the perko's probably the worst, absolute bag of brown stuff. We've even kept the windows open on jobs so that they work long enough for the architect to sign it off, as with the windows shut the perko can't overcome the air pressure in a room.
Probably the best , but not the prettyest, would be a overhead closer, easy to fit easy to adjust.

Of all the methods I've ever used I reckon the perko's probably the worst, absolute bag of brown stuff. We've even kept the windows open on jobs so that they work long enough for the architect to sign it off, as with the windows shut the perko can't overcome the air pressure in a room.
Probably the best , but not the prettyest, would be a overhead closer, easy to fit easy to adjust.

im not stalking you honest :)

gota agree perkos can be a royal P.I.A but they can be adjusted correctly if the door has been shot in right,which means if there being put in on price work then forget it :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
yep yonks ago,think there a bit like perkos,LIKE TO BITE UR FINGERS.

im not stalking you honest :)
No worries it's not as if there's a law against it

I've come across the finger biters as you call them too.
One other thing that bugs me with the perkos is forcing them apart to begin with, nearly always end up scratching or scuffiong the face plates.

Hmm there may be a law after all :rolleyes:

I recently came across a door that was fitted with raised butt hinges and they do work well. The door is closed gently and there are no chains or other contraptions to bite your fingers. Only thing is they look a bit fiddly to fit.

Yes they do work but generally won't latch a door as the only power you have is gravity. Does have the advantage of being able to be lifted off easily which helps with furnature movig painting and the like.

it's not a fire door. Don't really mind the door not being able to latch - just don't like it being left wide open all the time :mad:

I recently came across a door that was fitted with raised butt hinges and they do work well. The door is closed gently and there are no chains or other contraptions to bite your fingers. Only thing is they look a bit fiddly to fit.

Have you guys had rising butt hinges approved by Building Control, on fire doors?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back