Best door for sound proof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I am looking to replace the aging plain interior doors in our bungalow to something a bit more modern looking. Ideally, being a bungalow and having two children, it would be nice to fit something with a little more sound proofing properties if possible.

Therefore, my question is, would I be better off fitting moulded, solid wood or fire doors (or something else)? I don't really fancy having to change all the door stops, so would like to keep the depth of 35mm if possible. Cost difference would also be a factor as changing quite a few; so for example, does the additional sound proofing qualities of fire doors justify the extra cost over solid wood?

Appreciate any opinions. Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Regardless of door type one thing which makes a difference to soundproofing is having acoustic seals fitted to the bottom of the door like the Norsound system. These are mechanically activated by a pin so that when you close the door a rubber closer strip descend and blocks the gap between the door and the floor. I've installed quite a few of these on commercial fit-outs in recent years in conjunction with brush-type intumescent/smoke seal strips (around the other 3 edges) and they really do work, although they do need to be used in conjunction with a door closer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back