Best/Easyest way to route CCTV cable in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone! My first post, comes a question.

I have bought a CCTV camera (IP Camera) and am having trouble routing the cable in. The waterproof cabling is hard wired in to the camera, then at the other end there is a huge network connector hard wired.

Picture 1:

reliable198write_23294456.jpg

This picture shows the camera and the huge connector i have got to route in.

Your most probably thinking, what is this guy on about?? The cable lenth (waterproof) is no longer than Half a meter. The postitioning of the camera is going to be under the facia (soffit) board, under the PVC soffit theres aspestos. The connector is 1.5" so the whole would need to be around that. Can you drill through the wall? Any ideas?

George

Sponsored Links
Thanks Sam, the question was the cable isnt long enough and is it safe to drill such a large hole. The way you suggested means theres still going to be an connection, an DIY connection at that. Anyway i didnt think of your suggestion. I'd rather be safe and keep the connector in place, what other ways are possible? Im guessing using a hole cutter into brick?
Cheers Mate

I think you misunderstood my reply. Your picture shows an RJ45 socket (female). You need to feed your CAT5 or CAT6 cable through the wall, then fit an RJ45 plug to this cable and then clip the plug (male) into your RJ45 socket.

That way you'll get away with a 10mm (maybe 9mm) hole.

Sponsored Links
Oh i see, i understand now. Although this would leave half a meter of cable dangling? Although water proofed with tape, its still effectively live and could be damaged by rain. I thought about pushing the spare wire into a balloon (deflated) to tidy it up? maybe not

George

Oh i see, i understand now. Although this would leave half a meter of cable dangling? Although water proofed with tape, its still effectively live and could be damaged by rain. I thought about pushing the spare wire into a balloon (deflated) to tidy it up? maybe not

George

Do you not have cable ties?

If it's going to be under a soffit, how is rain going to get to it, let alone with sufficient force to penetrate a properly sealed joint?

Use a IP65 rated junction box next to the camera. Do all the joints in that and just pass thru the building your cat5 and power if it is not POE.
That way the "spare" can be coiled and be left inside the box.

Use a IP65 rated junction box next to the camera. Do all the joints in that and just pass thru the building your cat5 and power if it is not POE.
That way the "spare" can be coiled and be left inside the box.

Got a link to a box which can take a connector of that size through a grommet?

Although I suppose one which seals on the lid would work. Could also just reterminate the cable, not exactly a difficult job.

Those must be really, really soft, because all mine are far too hard to do that. Especially with something the size of an 8P8C line socket.

You could mount the camera on the lid of an IP rated enclosure, knotch the lid at the and make the connection within the box.

You will need to drill a hole either big enough for the power and the data cable with pre made plug, or crimp your own plug on after it has passed through the wall, back or side entry into the enclosure maybe, obviously don't drill or disturb asbestos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back