Best Euro locks?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, just wondering what the best Euro lock cylinder is to buy for our doors?.

Need two for front and back.

I know I need to size them up but just wondering which are the best to go for?.

Cheers, Keith.

Sponsored Links
I'd suggest anti bump, anti pick, anti snap. If you are buying a pair you can get them keyed alike so only one key needed.

Last edited:
Any make better than others, Yale, Avocet, Abus?.

I've always stuck to Yale. No real reason though, just more known to me than the others.

Sponsored Links
Yale are obviously a very well known brand and been market leaders for many years. I've had ABUS padlocks for a number of years and no complaints about them. Don't know anything about Avocet to be honest.
Just checked ours and the name on the key is ISEO, (Italy). The only thing I can say about them is they have not given us any problems over the 6 1/2 years we have been here. (They were already fitted when we moved in).

With the Yale they give sizes like 45-10-45, is that still 45 to the centres and just noting the latch is 10mm wide?.

Any TS007 Three-star cylinder will be fine, and in combination with a suitable lock and escutcheon if possible.

And consider suited keys

With the Yale they give sizes like 45-10-45, is that still 45 to the centres and just noting the latch is 10mm wide?.
I bought one last month. It wasn't sized like that.

7CEB808B-D884-4CE1-9670-9661702B3D04.jpeg

When a manufacturer quotes the 10mm in the middle it means they're not measuring to the centreline of the screw hole but rather to the start of cam and they're pinching 5mm from each half and lumping it in the middle so a 45/10/45 is actually a 50/50

Yes it's weired really, I need some 35/55's (or a 30/10/50 Yale).

I think the new Yales us the "normal" sizing.

Is it always from inside out with measurements?.

None local has those sizes so I'll have to mail order it.

Wife dropped and lost her keys yesterday and it could have been on our drive so I'm going to change locks to be sure no one's picked them up.

Looks like an expensive do as we need 5 keys per door. Hey ho..

Does your home insurance cover lost keys? Our one does as standard and will replace any locks operated by those keys lost up to £1,000.

If not, will be cheaper to buy two locks keyed alike with just 5 keys instead of two locks and ten keys.

Those Yale ones you've bought look good Mottie, I'll see if they do a 35/55 (in/out).

Don't know anything about Avocet to be honest.
We have Avocets, partly because they are a relatively local firm to us (Brighouse, West Yorkshire) and I used to work for a firm with a trade account there. No complaints

I find eBay cheapest, as Woody says, 3 star TS007. Recently bought a Yale platinum and found it quite a bit cheaper to get the 3 additional keys needed separately from another eBay seller (they use aftermarket or discontinued blanks and cut to code), obviously get them sent to a friend's house if you're paranoid!
Consider thumbturns - I love them but a bit like marmite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back