Best exterior wood paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I'm about to repaint the window frames on my three bed semi and would like some advise on the best paint to use.

The house was built in the mid 90's and has wooden framed doubled glazed windows. The windows have been painted many times and the paint only seems to last a couple of years before cracking and peeling. The worst areas are the window sills and the area at the base of the glass.

The back of the house is south facing and exposed to the sun while the front is north facing and doesnt get much sun although proximity to a hedge causes moisture issues.

There is some wet rot which I plan on fixing by removing, using hardener and filler.

I'm planning on using a hot air gun to remove areas of paint which are flaky or loose and will be sanding the rest.

Previously I have tried Dulux trade primer and topcoat which was OK but only lasted three years. Also tried Ronseal primer and topcoat which was supposed to last seven years but I was lucky to get two years before it peeled off.

I'm considering Zinsser Bulls Eye Primer and Zinssier Permawhite exterior which claims to last up to fifteen years, or maybe Sikkens.

Any info on which on hard wearing exterior wood paint welcome!

Sponsored Links
For exterior wood I have been impressed with Sadolin Superdec

Water based, bright white, expands so doesn't crack..

Whether it is 'the best', I do not know but I like it and never had any problems.. I think the manufacturer states that it provides protection for 8yrs.. so that may be an issue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back